FCC approves Part 95 reform

The FCC approved the Report and Order to reform Part 95 at the Open Commission Meeting May 18, 2017.

The commission meeting was reported on live on our blog, Facebook page and twitter feed @2WayRadios in real time.

Details are in the blog post.

FCC ruling on Part 95 reform

So, what do you think of the ruling? Is this a win-win for FRS, GMRS and CB users, or does this potentially cause other issues?

Hey Rick, concerning this Part 95 reform, here’s a good question. I recently got my GMRS license, and on the podcast you said on the reform that they were extending the time from 5 years to 10 years. Will they apply that to new applications, or to those of us already holding our licenses? And will we have to prove we have our license to get the more powerful radios, like that nice MXT 400? How will that work? Just asking!

Capt Pete

They will likely follow past practice and only give the 10 year limit to new licensees. License holders prior to the new regulations taking effect would still see their licenses expire after 5 years.

You’d simply purchase a new radio. No one ever asks for proof of a license.

On a logical standpoint:

I believe this is a win for manufacturers and sellers of equipment.

The GMRS licensee becomes more of a loser. The FCC made a mistake of putting FRS in the GMRS band to begin with. GMRS users lost to begin with. This is just the FCC’s way of washing their hands of the issue and pandering to manufacturers. While, unlicensed use of GMRS frequencies is widespread; this further increases the issue of interference from unlicensed users on GMRS repeater outputs.

FRS users win in a big way. This eliminates the confusion of which of the 22 channels they can and cannot use. To the FRS user, there are no negatives to this new ruling.

CB users win, in a fashion, because the distance limits are removed. For those who wish to talk long distance, this is a plus. On the bad side, this creates more interference issues to the CB operator who wants to use CB for its intended purpose: short range, local communications.

In the end, the GMRS licensee comes out on the short end of the stick. Everyone else wins. At least, they didn’t remove the GMRS service entirely and remove repeaters.

From a consumer standpoint:

As an FRS/GMRS user myself, I use radios for short-range family communications. I believe now, the new rules will allow me to operate under FRS rules, without the need for a GMRS license. I never use repeaters, so letting my license lapse will not be a major issue. I’ve never seen the need to operate mobile, so FRS will do me just fine. My license allowed me to try commercial grade equipment and I have really seen no difference in handheld to handheld range, regardless of power output under average conditions. Exceptions have occurred and I believe the new 2 watt limit may be sufficient to bridge the gap.

From what I have seen, by looking up FCC data, there are ZERO commercial grade handheld radios on the market that exceed 1.5 watts or so, even on GMRS! most are even below the 500 mW limits of FRS in its pre-change state. The most powerful Motorola FRS/GMRS radio sold here only has a power output of 1.3 watts or so, on GMRS. Will manufacturers take advantage of the new rules and up the power? I don’t know. The trend is to DECREASE power.

just my rants and thoughts :slight_smile:

As John said, the FCC is not expected to extend current GMRS licenses to 10 years, only new or renewed licenses going forward after the reform takes effect. Yeah, it’s a little disappointing, but it will be a better deal at renewal time.

Id like to apply for a GMRS license. I am an existing ham radio buy and I went to apply for the GMRS license and they want 70$. I thought the amount was changing with the new ruling.

What the deal with the fee?

BTW the enjoyed the show :slight_smile:

There are no fee changes in the New rules. The new rules are still a month out from taking effect.