External Amplification for Handheld

I am currently running a Wouxun KG-1000G+ in my truck and would like to remove it and make a base station in my home. Although my Wouxun KG-935G+ can be used in the truck, it does not have the transmit power of the KG-1000G+.

Is there an external amplifier I can use to ‘boost’ the transmit signal while in my truck?

In the UK, we can buy 400-470MHz amplifiers for around £200-300 designed really for hams, but often used by our PMR446 (similar to GMRS) folk, illegally. They take a hand portable up to 50-60W or so. Here, most dealers won’t sell these if people ask for an amplifier for PMR446, but if people ask for a ham band amplifier, it’s fine.

Amplifiers are problematic for legal reasons, which is why we don’t carry them. This is especially true for handheld GMRS radios such as the KG-935G Plus.

The FCC limits GMRS channels 1-7 to a maximum of 5 watts and channels 8-14 to only one half watt. There is a practical reason why those interstitial channels are limited to such low power due to potential for interference with the GMRS repeater channels. The low-power channels 8-14 are only authorized for transmit on handheld radios, so attempting to artificially boost the wattage on them puts the radio out of technical compliance for type acceptance, violating FCC rules.

The KG-1000G Plus mobile works at 50 watts because it cannot transmit on the low power half watt channels 8-14 and is limited to 5 watts on channels 1-7 to comply with FCC rules.

Thanks Rick, I didn’t think about the channels 1-14 power restrictions when coming up with the idea. I am part of a repeater club here in AZ and the only way I can hit the repeater on our weekly meetings is with the 1000G+ but don’t want to sit in my truck for 2 hours while doing so and don’t want the additional expense of another radio (the wife is starting to look at me sideways).

1 Like

Thanks for the reply paulears. Yes, anytime a government sets rules, the people always try to find a way around it. :wink:

Lots of dealers today get asked for things we know people want, but ethically, we don’t want to do. Here in the UK, the most common request for me is marine radio ‘changes’ as that’s probably 75% of my business, being in a port. I’d like to buy X radio, can you put channels A, B and C in it please? I’m usually really nice and ask them to just send me a scan /photo of their ID badge from their organisation that I can keep on file in case OFCOM (our FCC) ask. Only 1 in 10 customers can provide this. Technically, I think I could just put these channels in the radios, but I don’t want to. Many lifeboat crew members come to me to add their working channels to radios that are bought from their own funds, because getting official ones is so much more expensive. Amplifiers so far, I have avoided totally!

There are no Part 95 certified amplifiers. Therefore, any that exist would be illegal on GMRS.