Ebay (UK) removed listing for FCC Violation?

I thought I would share this. I’ve been selling a couple of Retevis handhelds - the RT29, in analogue and digital versions for a couple of years on ebay and they just pulled them for violating FCC rules on surveillance equipment? I have appealed, of course, and sent as the evidence the UK OFCOM licence, and the CE documentation - it’s weird that none of the FCC regulations apply in the UK, but if they are that AI based, I doubt my appeal will work. How daft!

Are you shipping them internationally or to the UK only? If it’s an international listing, it may have been flagged due to import restrictions in this country on certain electronics from China.

No Rick, UK only - the actual rules they quoted relate to bugging and surveillance - they even banned the speaker mic for it!!

My appeal failed. The Retevis RT29 UHF radio has been banned!

They totally ignored the fact that I provided evidence it met the UK OFCOM requirements, insisting it does not meet FCC rules - which don’t apply at all in the UK. The wording, if it helps anyone here, is as follows:

We reviewed your appeal of an action on your account. Upon further review, we’re unable to grant your appeal because the listings aren’t following our Electronic equipment policy. This product can’t be sold on eBay because the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has indicated that it may enable unauthorized operation on commercial mobile frequencies, often associated with fraudulent activities. For more details, see the FCC Consumer Help Center.

Interesting. Yet they allow illegal CB amplifiers by the cubic ton!

1 Like

The ONLY reason I can possibly think of is because eBay is an American company and therefore you could, technically sell one to an American customer. That would fall under the purview of the FCC who could, and probably would fine EBay‼️
The fact that you said you only sell them in the UK is irrelevant, from their point of view.
Tom WRQE346

1 Like

If I Want linear amp one I just build one there easy and Ebay is high price. I collect schematics on linear amps. If ever got into ham I would one for it 10 and 12 meter bands.

It still illegal to use on 11-meter band even if build for your self.

Dave

They’ve removed two more listings - in the marine band section. Handhelds that need your government supplied ID number so it can have a nice big red HELP button that sends your callsign, GPS coordinates and government registered number to the coastguard! Same reason - violates policy. In the marine and aviation radio section. Clearly it’s an AI thing but again they denied my appeal and limited my account for three days! One of the listings is my best selling radio and is available in that section from 5 other sellers, three aout of the UK!

Ebay in America :united_states: is like the wild west.

I almos never buy from Ebay . The last time I had replace a signal generator in 2016. Walmart & Amazon is great prices on new

Dave

I read about over 40 years ago most countries US the FCC laws. There is a international agreement.

⸻⸻⸻⸻

It like 11-meter band was Greman’s radio band for 1928 to 1945 . But US military used also in 1930’s to 1945 on FM. The by international agreement made the Citizens Band in 1948 . But did rules finish till 1958

Dave

That is completely wrong David - American laws only have jurisdiction in the US and US overseas territories. In the UK our regulator is OFCOM. FCC regulations like all the ones that prevent some radios being sold in the US do not apply here whatsoever. We have no such restrictions. Ebay, of course is a US originated company, but Ebay GB, FR, DE and the others use our laws. To be completely factual, many of our Laws have been copied and pasted from when we were in the EU, but of course if you go to a British Court, with a British Judge, you get British law applied - the FCC is a federal organising, which we just do not have in the UK. Many countries collaborate on International radio issues for the benefit of everyone - but each nation state uses it’s own laws.

Other countries copy the laws and international agreement.

A lots laws in Canada are very close to America :united_states:

FYI that is not always a good thing

Dave

There different witch I should point

Sorry for not pointing out .

They make a international CB with about to comply with different changes in laws band in America

UK :united_kingdom: uses a different crystal frequencies. Other companies have 80 channels . America :united_states: was first to fm on 11-meter but band in 1948.

Some wattage different .

That problem in 1950s with crystals so fix by keeping bandwidth to 10k (Delta tune was need ) more wattage great bandwidth need and same for FM

Others wonder why in America they stop at 27.4 mhz because of business and others using the that set of frequency

Dave