Dmr1702 firmware update fail

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a Baofeng DMR1702 to start exploring digital radio.

I have the firmware L05.01.004 and I am unable to update it.

I have tried programming software including, CPS V1.00.66, V1.00.78, without any luck. I am using windows 10 os.

I have since managed to connect to the radio with the RT72 CPS, but whenever I try the firmware update is says “Radio Model number failed”.

I am stuck and looking for some of your experience, please help. :grinning:

What is the name of the Firmware file you are using?
If it is like this - 1702_v02.02.019, then I’m afraid you cant use that file.
As far as I am aware there isn’t an update for Firmware L05.01.004.

Thank you for your reply.

No problem.
There are 2 versions of this radio, even though the radio looks the same, the internal programming is completely different.

Version 1 uses L05.01.004 firmware and you need RT72 programming software.
Version 2 uses v02.02.014 firmware you need the MD CPS software.
Very confusing for new users.

1 Like

Aha, I see. This is why I’m struggling only with RT 72 programming capabilities.

Thank you so much for your advice and help.

Do you know anyone who will have L05.01.004 as a bin file?

Unfortunately I don’t. Are you having problems with it and need to reflash firmware?

Yes, exactly that. :frowning:

Keeps switching off for no reason, thought I would like to factory reset or upgrade if possible, but the second option looks out.

Ok, very odd behaviour. Are you sure its switching off and not the screensaver cutting in after no use, (you’d be surprised how often this happens). You could possibly reprogram with a blank codeplug file. I believe there is one with the CPS software.

Thank you again for your reply.

Yes it 100% cuts out when it goes. Deffo not the screen saver.

I have to physically switch off and back on for it to come back for a bit.

Also now it won’t let me connect via cps to restore an old code plug or any save file.

It’s very strange.

Have you put it in the the charging cradle with the power on and turn the radio on? Might be worth trying and let me know if it still cuts out.

Thanks again, I have placed the radio in its cradle and this is still happening, which eliminates the battery I think.

If you can I would return it where you got it from.

Yes, I’m going to do just that.

Thanks for looking at this with me.
I appreciate it.

Hello my radio has a new radio problem it does not open to configure via PC wiht Micro USB and Rib 2 pins, watch the video of the problem, Baofeng DM-1702 GPS. Baofeng DM-1702 GPS Ver Firmware L05.01.005 Radio does not open on CPS: MD-1702 V1.00.78 , V1.00.66 and OpenGD77 CPS. video in youtube (Baofeng DM-1702 GPS problem configuration) Channel Bn SchL

Thanks Best regards PU1XYZ 73.

I have read in another forum here that someone has had success with using Retevis programming software from RETEVIS RT72 FPP Dual Band DMR HAM Radio Built-in GPS UHF and VHF dual time slot

Goto SUPPORT and then goto FIRMWARE/SOFTWARE

Download the RT72_programming_softwarev1-00-00