Costa Rica

I am new to site and was hoping I could get some good advise. I have a friend in Costa Rica who is wanting to use a walkie talkie to talk to another driver while driving, he would like maybe 2 mile range in a generally flat area. I have a couple of questions being I am not too familiar with all this.

1 . I have been looking at Motorola mh230r and Motorola mr350r, he does not care about features , will there be a difference in range on these?

1. I have read about the GMRS mode, can he just put it on that in Costa Rica and get more range and does he need the FCC license if he does?

thank you for any help on this , I am going next week and I am hoping to help him out.

US radio regulations and the FCC have no bearing in Costa Rica. Costa Rica is a sovereign nation that has its own laws concerning radios and how they are used.

Your friend would be better served by looking into what the laws are there and what radios would be legal for him to use there. Radios intended for use in the US may not be legal to use in Costa Rica and could possible get your friend in trouble.