Can anyone give me advice

Hi im looking to buy a good cb for me and some friends
can anyone give me advice on where to buy?
I found this
Baofeng BF-X9 8W 7800mAh Powerful Walkie Talkie CB Radio Transceiver 220-260Mhz Portable Radio 10km Long Range for City Hunting Forest
$61.99
but i have no idea what a cb is when it comes to how far it works
please help me
thanks for letting me post

Well - you’ve got totally the wrong end of the stick! CB radio - where you chat to strangers, typically mobile is a very specific thing - it usually means radios in cars, trucks and otherr vehicles with biggish antennas - and they work on 27MHz - The baofeng you mention is a ham radio style product, that means licences, rules and most importantly, in many territories, an exam. If you are in the US, there are lots of things you can buy, but cannot use. 220-260 is also not a very common band. The advert is also stretching things - 10Km might realistically be half a mile or even less in built up areas. In America, I’d Google for MURS or GMRS radios and have a look at them and see if they will do what you need. Range again, is short radio to radio.

1 Like

Hi James, as Paul said, if you’re in the US, CB radio operates on a different band and on different frequencies than what they are advertising on that Baofeng radio. Also, the maxumum power allowed on the CB band is 4 watts, so that radio would not be legal for use here.

Your best and safest option for CB is to stick with FCC approved radios from the major CB radio manufacturers. These models are regarded as good choices and many are popular with the CB crowd.:
Cobra
Galaxy
Midland
President
Uniden
Wouxun

Fortunately, you came to the right place, because we have a lot of resources available to help start you off with CB radio, as well as other radio services. Here is a short list to get you started:
A Beginner’s Guide to CB Radio

TWRS-15 - An Introduction to CB Radios

TWRS-65 - CB or Ham

TWRS-157 - CB or GMRS?

It’s National CB Radio Day!