I’ve been having an ongoing battle with squirrels getting into my attic and setting up house, and have tried numerous methods to chase them out, usually with only temporary or limited success. While Googling natural deterrent solutions, I found that a common search term was asking if attic antennas would deter pests. It seemed to be a frequently asked question, so I thought I would create an article on it.
I am surprised no else posted.
I have squirrels but they can not my attic. But know others have problems.
A few whwen too Tractor Supply Company and purchased a bad smelling repellent and squirrel begone food. Fixed the problem
I just did till this part it also keeps mice gone too.
The only problem I realy had with squirrels is the power company has the Nuretrill eaten or the transformed bolt , it was not a good day for squirrel.
Here one you like he red handed
When I was in the military I guarded some extremely high power RF equipment on a deployment, and wildlife absolutely stayed away from it when it was transmitting. I personally saw deer and other animals develop pretty severe injuries after being around the active system for extended periods. Obviously, an attic antenna is nowhere near that kind of power, but animals are definitely sensitive to heat, vibration, noise, and the overall environment around active RF equipment, so I could absolutely see squirrels avoiding it.
If you have squirrels that just means you need to use your radio more lol.
I agree with J-pole but some can only place a antenna in the attic because of HOA rules not even a TV ANTENNA.
For satellite i see mount on a 4x4 in back yard just nuts
Where live max height is 35 feet unless portable no limit .
I only buy homes with out HOA police .
I am surprised no one has manufactured a CB attic antenna
I have heard of antenna wire color of ròof mount at the ridge. I own home that had a short wave antenna in attic. There was no restriction but did anyway
I suspect Badger was joking when he said not enough room in the attic to swing a J-Pole, as in we are talking animals and the saying is usually not enough room to swing a cat?
Attic HF antennas have been common for years, and being close to 10m, the ham ones usually tune OK - BUT - short physical length at low frequencies = poor efficiency. I seem to remember somebody selling a DV27 antenna in a tube, with some ground plane wires, you stretched out. The only trouble is they weren’t very good at getting signals in or out.
I talk to tree trimmer he install a antenna in a tree for HAM Guy. Because the city or HOA would not let him build a tower. The only info is what tree trimmer said.
I don’t know anything about antennas keeping squirrels out of attics, or about any other gimmicks that actually work. I used to live in Phoenix and certain neighborhoods used to have issues with roof rats, actual rats that would climb the trees and make their way to the roofs of houses and into the attics. With that situation and yours the best things you can do are to trim your trees away from the house, not only will this limit the access to the roof/attic from rodents but tree limbs can cause damage to the house during a storm. Also you will need to secure any access points into the attic that the little critters are using, visually inspect the eaves and overhangs for any openings. Often you will have pre-drilled holes in the soffit boards to allow for propper ventilation into the attic, the holes are normally covered with a wire mesh to prevent rodents from entering, but over time the screen mesh can be damaged and worn allowing access. Also check your roof to make sure other possible entry points are secured. I would strongly advise against the “cat in the attic” suggestion, as I have had to remove the remains of a deceased cat from an attic on a hot summer Phoenix day and only having done that once I can tell you that is a smell that will last a lifetime.