Boafeng uv5r programing

Hi I am new to this from and I have a boafeng uv5r that I help with it Is there Anyway I can operate this out side the 446 frequency I have a swl license any help would be great

Depends where in the world you are. The US have become very savvy with non-type approved radios, so the UV5R, as understand it is pretty much out in the states, bar amateur bands. In the UK, you can get a licence - £75 for 5 years to let you use a number of frequencies. That radio though has never been legal on the free system around 446 used in many countries. Too high a power and the antenna disconnects, so while it works fine on the UK PMR446 system, strictly speaking, it’s not allowed. I’ve never known anyone to need an SWL licence - no such thing in the UK, and I didn’t think it was necessary in most countries.

I am in Ireland and it’s difficult back here we are only aloud to operate on the 446 frequency and lisin to anything I am wateing on a course to get my foundation exam license I just find it hard to program this boafeng it like I can the tones and ctccs right and steps as well because it works away on the 446 and when I try to pick up Kenwood radio and I can’t get it right help please

The republic are in the EU so the laws there apply to your country. The Baofeng will operate in the EU PMR446 band but not legally. I suppose the question, setting aside the law for the moment is who exactly do you wish to talk to and who do you wish to only listen to? This is important because for listening to other users of PMR446 you do NOT want any tones at all. CTCSS is used to prevent you hearing other people’s conversations so on a low power 100m or so system You want to only hear messages for your ‘group’. Nosey people want to hear everything of course but they are not the primary users of the system. Most users believe their conversations are private. You do not need an SWL licence in Ireland because it doesn’t exist. The Baofeng uses the very common Chinese menu system. You go through the menu headings, select the one to adjust, change a parameter then go upwards in the menu heirachy then adjust another. So CTCSS for example requires you to select the TX frequency set it and enable it then do the same for RX then save this and the operating frequencies to a memory. Probably easier to get a cable and CPD software like chirp and do it from your computer. Using it on PMR446 is wrong but loads of people do it. It’s a moral decision I suppose. Won’t hurt anyone, probably won’t annoy people but strictly speaking you shouldn’t. Tell us more about what you hope to achieve and maybe we can help.

Hi I am a registered member of the irts and have a swl license look it up and you see that that do apply and 446 is open frequency because Walkie talkies are 446 and anyone can use them and thanks for the advice on the boafeng uv5r if look up irts you see that this license can be got

The Current rules that the Republic of Ireland are following is EEC 15 (05) and in it it sets out VERY clearly and is recent (Jan 2017 changes are in there) that radios must have integral antennas and 500mW maximum output. Ireland signed up for this, it’s current in your country at the moment, as it is in England. No repeaters, no external antennas. Your Baofeng is not legal to use - but as I said, nobody is that bothered as the band is self-policing and has no protections.

The EU has no requirement for Short Wave Listening Licences. You must have a licence to transmit but there is no requirement for any licence for listening, and there hasn’t been for a very long time. IRTS have a special price for listeners but there is no requirement for a licence, but the society is a good idea. it is NOT a licence and it is NOT compulsory. You really need to do a bit more research before your test - the subject of detachable antennas has been a hot one for years on PMR446, and for a brief while it was relaxed, but the new documents are very clear - if the antenna comes off, it’s not legal to use, but of course works perfectly well. If you are unsure I speak the truth - then ten minutes googling and your own countries national society will explain it all. Sorry Paul

I put my prof of what I am saying

Nope - you didn’t. You copied and pasted lots of irrelevant information. Go to your Governments website https://www.comreg.ie/?dlm_download=amateur-station-licence-guidelines and you will see no mention of any form of non-transmitting licence.

I’m out now because your Society will issue you a nice certificate and a callsign. You can believe this is a requirement if you wish, it matter little bar the 25 Euros for the membership which is great value, but it is not any form of legal requirement. if you are unhappy believing this, fine - it’s OK. There are however, two facts that are very definitive. under EU law, Baofengs are not suitable for use on PMR446 and your Government do not issue Short Wave Listener Licences. Sorry.

1 Like

So you tell me that I am being told something that is very rong by the irts and under EU laws that no swl license what do ever if this true I going to by putting this on Facebook because this fake and scam by irts

no - you get access to SWL benefits like the QSL bureau, the various documents, help with solving interference and stuff like that, but they are a society like my RSGB - they run the courses and the exams and have experts you can talk to for advice, but licences are issued by a Government, and for listening you don’t need one, but you did for transmitting. I don’t know your Government, but their website is quite clear. Sometimes societies can issue permits to do strange things, this is quite common and how the repeater networks are kept in-line. OFCOM allow the RSGB to issue repeater keepers permission. OFCOM here also allow the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) to look after all things aviation, but they don’t do this with marine, special events, or business radio. Yours appears extremely similar. Reading the application form it just says “I wish to join the Irish Radio Transmitters Society and I undertake to abide by the Rules of the Society” - this is what your 25 euros is for, the membership fee to an old society. No scam, you just misunderstood what you were joining. If you read it again you will also see it asks if you are licensed? If you don’t have a callsign they can use for your ID, that doesn’t matter, they’ll issue you a membership number you can use instead - but joining the organisation is an option. If you search on google, you will find that many Irish amateurs consider the society in less than glowing terms. Our RSGB gets the same treatment. People are for a national society, or they are not - but it’s like joining a club, nothing more. Do you want to listen to radio hams using voice, CW, RTTY or data transmissions from all over the world? If you do, then membership could be beneficial. If you don’t own an HF radio set and long dangly antenna down the garden, what kind of listening had you in mind? PMR446 isn’t anything to do with being an SWL really. You’ll get a magazine for the money in real terms.

Hi no I understand ya I only looking for this program is for mates that would have handheld radios and are not on 446 and for when I go out in the water with my family and if we get onto trouble when out on the sea the I can just give the head up that we need help.

Remember that realistically, if you go to sea, then it’s the coastguard and other ships, who all monitor the same frequency that get you out of trouble. When did we start talking about a programme? I’m very confused now we’ve started talking about marine band? What in earth has this to do with your SWL problems? You don’t have a marine licence, so the coastguard will rescue you if you’re in real danger if you call on 156.8MHz, but once back on land, you’ll get a ticking off. The reason is marine is a safety radio system and using it badly had seriously wreck things. Like if you have a chat on the data channel and the system they use to recognise vessels gets messed up because you’re innocently having a chat, unaware they use the channel for data - important data. If the idea is to prevent you and your family and friends from dying, marine is great - but you need a different licence and you need, as I mentioned to take a test. Very few marine users could tell you what frequency channel 12 actually is, and I dare say if they tell you to go to channel 67 to talk to a helicopter, you’d be stuck. Your Baofeng can talk too the coastguard, but you really need to be much more experienced in all things radio to be able to do this safely. Oddly, if you have a licence and know the channel system (which is weird) the Baofeng would work pretty well but I’m not sure in a storm, with light failing, looking at a list of frequencies and channel numbers is going too be practical is it?

Right that has nothing to do with swl this is to let you no that I was not planning to operate this radio to mess around with it only two things , 1 this my mate has a Kenwood and I have boafeng uv5r we go out fishing at sea he one boat and I on the order so we are Trying to contact with eachother and we can’t and the coustgard I can’t get on the boafeng uv5r that’s all that for your time and advice on this matter

got you. If you two just want to chat, and are at sea, I know exactly what I would do. For life saving, just in case, I would absolutely put 156.800MHz in the radio. you can’t chat on it, but as EVERY boat and the coastguard will be listening it can save your life. Maydays tend to stay on channel 16 anyway. For your private communications, why not just go below PMR446 ch 1. Nobody is there, nobody with a PMR446 radio will hear you, and it will be to all intents and purposes private. or you could take the marine test and use real marine channels. Your baofeng has lots of memories, so you could put marine channel 16 in 16, and so on? Up to you really - but using marine band without understanding how it works can put people’s lives at risk. A social issue really. As this site is in the USA, their rules are very different, but in both parts of the world, some things are legal, some are not, and here, being a radio supplier themselves they cannot promote any kind of bad practice. My experience of Ireland and NI is that the South tend to be quite relaxed about radio, but using a Baofeng in Belfast on the ‘wrong’ channels is more likely to be noticed.

1 Like

Hi and thanks for everything but my mate has a Kenwood radio and we are trying to get the right frequency for it because we don’t no what it operate on Frequency and I am just got a program cable boafeng but I don’t no what is the right frequencys fall in under because I don’t if there UK Ireland or USA any tips on how to do this with cheap sorftwere any tips on this for me and Channel 16 there nothing with that no talking or anything

Can you tell us exactly what you are trying to do? You have programmed in marine band channel 16 156.800MHz and there is nothing to hear? Two things really. 1. You could live somewhere where there are no people using it. Boat to boat expect a maximum of maybe 10miles if both boats have antennas on top, and perhaps 5 or 6 handheld to handheld. Boat with antenna to coastguards? Maybe 15, possibly 20 miles? So if you just have a handheld, then you need to be close to the action. Are you?

If you have a Baofeng programming cable, then who exactly do you want to listen to? Your choice is radio hams (we’re very boring and waffle a lot), Marine band (if you live on or very near the coast), business radio - in cities VERY busy but in rural areas pretty empty and that’s about it really. Worse - business radio is gradually, but continually going digital. So you will hear nasty buzz saw noises - that’s digital radio - voice or even pagers, but not listenable to. Location is key here. If there are loads of radio users around you, you will hear something. If you live in the country - probably nothing at all! PMR446 is available - but often their ranges are hundreds of metres , not remotely miles. Those integral antennas are largely to blame.

If you just want to talk to your friend, and are not bothered about the legality, then pick 446.0125MHz and I doubt anyone will ever find you - it’s wrong of course. You say your friend has a Kenwood. This could be VHF, or UHF, or dual band. probably best to find out what frequency it works on and dial that into the Baofeng. It sounds like you fancy radio as a hobby - but have some serious learning do do here. I’m taking a radio exam on Monday so I can go to sea with my marine radios. The course book arrived today - so I have from now till Monday to learn it all. Perfectly doable. P

Thanks very much for the advice on everything you help me with it

not a problem - you just seem a bit stuck and trying to go too fast. Remember when you explain things that we have no idea what you’re doing - so when you say obvious things, we kind of go er, what? Like I said - talk to us like maybe children Ive done this, I’ve done that, I’ve pushed this, I’ve pressed that and I get … and then tell us. We’ll help if we can. Paul

there is no such thing as a SWL license that I have ever heard of

the radio is not type accepted

go watch youtube videos

Sorry but falls under the member ship of the irts