BaoFeng UV-5R help

I recently order two BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way radios online. They definitely don’t do a good job explaining things in the manual! There’s plenty of info online, including videos, but everyone is talking over my head, and most aren’t getting to the point I want. I’d like to use two of these bad boys to communicate with each other. So far I can get that to work, but I feel like I’m missing some things. Like what are good frequencies to use? Are the top number and bottom number supposed to be the same? What are the differences between those numbers? How can I get the most distance out of these things in a city? Can anyone help me in layman’s terms? I want to get the most power out of my product. Right now I can barely use them past 3 blocks on High TXP.

I should also add that I do plan to get my FCC license to operate over 5w. I just want to make sure I can find something that can do what I want first, which is to communicate through city space over enough distance to matter. If I can’t get these things to do that on their own my next question would be about how to supplement power, like with a repeater.

Note: the following information is based on operation in the USA. If you do not reside in the US, this may or may not apply.

The UV-5R is a powerful little radio, and with it comes a considerable amount of responsibility. Before you begin using these radios, it is very important to fully understand how to properly use them. Doing so will prevent you from getting into trouble with other radio operators, the FCC or both.

For starters, the Baofeng UV-5R is not a consumer FRS/GMRS walkie-talkie sold in the local big box store. It may look like a toy, but it is far from it. The UV-5R can transmit on a range of frequencies that cover several radio services, most of which require a license to use in the US and many other countries. Just because the radio may be pre-programmed from the factory with frequencies assigned to specific channels, doesn’t mean they can or should be used.

If you feel that everyone is talking over your head, start with the basics. Do this before you attempt to transmit with these radios.
Here are some resources that explain what you need to know in simple terms.

The Two Way Radio Show Podcast
TWRS-01 - An Introduction to Consumer Radios
TWRS-02 - An Introduction to Business Radios

Types of Two Way Radios
(features a handy chart)
Two Way Radio Basics

Radio 101 - The difference between UHF and VHF radios
Radio 101 - The truth about FRS / GMRS two way radio range

I should also add that I do plan to get my FCC license to operate over 5w.

I think there is a slight misunderstanding about licensing. There is no general requirement for an FCC license over a “5W threshold”. A license is required based on the type of radio service, no matter the wattage used. For instance, if you are using the radios on business frequencies, you will need to obtain a license whether you are operating on 5W or 50W. If you are operating on the GMRS, you will need a GMRS license, if you are operating on amateur (ham) frequencies, you will need a license for the level appropriate to operate on the frequencies you are allowed to use (Technician, General or Extra).

There are some radios services that do not require you to obtain a license, such as FRS, (Family Radio Service), MURS (Multi-Use Radio Service, CB (Citizen’s Band) and a few others, but the UV-5R is not approved by the FCC for use on those services within the US.

Will the baofeng u-5r communicate with an rmu2040 Motorola?

One thing to remember very early on with radio equipment is that power rarely makes a lot of difference. Having a loud voice and average hearing doesn’t mean distance dramatically improves. A low power radio on the top of the multi-storey car park works better than a high powered on on the street outside. With a handheld like these Baofengs the receivers are not ultra good - they’re a good match to the aerial and the power. The frequencies they can transmit on cover a large area of the spectrum, most of which you cannot use. There is a pretty general rule on portable aerials - longer usually is better, but more awkward.

The question on can they communicate with the rmu2040 Motorola = yes, if you programme them appropriately - the Motorola is produced to meet the US spec for short range comms, and is really just a few frequencies, and lots of CTCSS tones to stop people being annoyed by other users, giving the illusion of lots of channels from just a few frequencies.

You require a license to use these radios. Then they must be programmed to the frequencies you are legally licensed to use.

What is programmed at the factory are test frequencies… all of which are in business and public safety services. These frequencies require a license… and are designed to be overwritten by licensed users.

DO NOT use these radios, unless you are permitted to by the terms of your license. If you have no such license, you cannot use them.

Hey guys I just have a question regarding the uv5r

Does anyone know if you can get an attachment for the radio to work with click fast so rather than the belt clip I can use the click fast system