Baofeng Uv-5R and BF-F8HP Trigger Repeater AFTER I release PTT

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I think I programmed something wrong.

I used CHIRP to program both radios, and the simplex stuff works fine, but the repeaters only activate when I release the PTT switch on both radios. CHIRP has the same tone for transmit and receive, but it seems that the tone is only being sent when I release the button. Does that make sense?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Try disabling you RX tone just to test.

If that doesn’t fix it, you are likely just experiencing desense due to the (lack of) filtering on the BaoFengs.

Thanks! I’ll give it a try. I’m guessing that maybe CHIRP wasn’t the best way to program the units…

We are looking at replacing some older Motorola units, and the bean counters wanted to try to Baofengs, so here we are…

Nah, that didn’t work either. Any suggestions on fixing the filtering?

Very simply… If anyone is required to turn ON a repeater it has to be at the beginning of your transmission. It has to be the RIGHT tone. A tone can also be used to keep the repeater active. No tone and it turns off.(No, I don’t think you’re stupid, I’m keeping it straight in my mind.) The Baofengs aren’t the simplest thing to program so good luck…

Yeah, I have the tone at the beginning and at the end. The TX tone which is the same as the RX tone (which seems to work) doesn’t appear to trigger the repeater. I also turned off the RX tone and then it won’t do anything. It’s a mystery…

jpg Here is the screen grab from CHIRP