BAOFENG-BF9700-CTCSS-PROBLEM

I have a Baofeng BF9700, the one similar to BF888s but with bigger case with IP67 rating. I’ve been trying to connect my TYT UV8000D to its channel 1 that I programmed with CTCSS tone(69.3Hz in this case).

It does light up green, so I know it is hitting the radio, yet I can’t hear any audio received unless I press the monitor button on the side. This is true vice versa.

I do know that my TYT is working fine because I can hit our local repeater that has CTCSS tone on it.

Anyone here who knows how to fix this.

I am using the WP970 programming software for the BF9700.

Are you sure the tones are the same on RX and TX? Can you do a CTCSS scan? If you take the tone off the receiving radio can you hear the transmitting radio?

Am I being stupid here? 67Hz is not set in your image - but 69.3Hz?

Sorry, my bad, just a typographic error. It should be 69.3Hz on my post. I doubled check both rx and tx ctcss of my radios, they are the same settings. They won’t just connect. If I only press the monitor button of the receiving radio will I be able to hear them connect.

As far as I know, my ht can’t do ctcss scan. but I tried using all the ctcss on my tyt yet it wont work. They will only connect if ctcss is OFF on both radios, or if you press the monitor button on the receiving end.

First thing is to determine which is the problem. Wrong tone, or not enough. It’s worth trying the narrow setting as this changes the level of the tones between radios with different bandwidths. If you are uncertain if the radio is actually sending a tone, pick a higher one - 250.3 is very obvious on a strong signal with no noise, you can usually hear it. It’s unusual for tones to be wrong, so probably just a mismatch in bandwidth, so the tone is a touch too low, and doesn’t trigger the squelch opening.

Sorry but just checking - are you licenced for those frequencies you are trying to use? Those frequencies are the default frequencies that come programmed into your radio from the factory. I am sure you know they are NOT LEGAL for use in most places in the world.

Depending on where you live of course, if you are simply using the default frequencies in countries where they are not legal, you may be potentially stepping on the frequencies used by licenced businesses or public service agencies in your area.

Also, those frequencies have been mandated as narrow band only for many years in most countries.

Those radios are licenced for amateur (ham) bands only, so if you are trying to use them as walkie talkies, they are the completely wrong radios. As this is not a forum to give advice on illegal usage, I would suggest returning those radios and using ones legal for use in your country or if you have a ham licence, sticking to the amateur frequencies. The licenced users in your area will thank you!

Not your fault if you are new to radios. Those radios may come with random frequencies programmed into them from the factory in China, but that does not mean they are legal to use in most countries, so please stop using wide band and stop using them on frequencies you may not be licenced to use.

Otherwise, the great folks in this forum would be glad to help. We just can’t discuss any illegal usage issues, as I am sure you can understand.

Yes, I am a General Class License Holder. Got it last month. I got the Baofeng as a gift for passing, yet the one who gave it wasn’t aware of the details that the frequencies weren’t type certified. I just got bought the programming cable to change the frequencies and band setup in order for me to get it right. Yet before I even able to change it, my two radios won’t connect.

I am quite embarassed to the one who gave it to me if I wont be able to use it.

In any case, I am using the tyt most of the time.

Thank you for the inputs and corrections.

Thank you! Will check on those infos. I’ll give you an update right away. :blush:

If you have a ham licence, surely you can use that radio? In the UK, if any radio can meet the Government’s spec, including home built ones, you can use it on the ham bands. is this different in the US?