Baofeng b888s

JUST BOUGHT FROM AMAZON 2 RADIOS- SUPER NOVICE AT THIS- USED CHIRP TO MAKE SOME CHANGES. NOW I AM STUCK ON CHINESE ALSO I USED BAOFENG 888 SOFTWARE STILL NO GOOD, I CAN READ AND WRITE DATA BUT IF I TRY TO MAKE CHANGES THEN CHECK TO SEE IF CHANGES WERE MADE, NOT ALL DATA WILL CHANGE. i TRIED OVER AN HOUR DIFFERENT THINGS, REMOVED BATTERY, PUSHED BUTTONS, ETC. NOTHING.

THE ODD THING IS THE SOFTWARE READS THE RADIO AS A VHF2(245-246MHZ) I THOUGHT IT SHOULD BE AROUND 460MHZ .

PLEASE HELP WHAT AM I DOING WRONG, ARE THE RADIOS CHEAP COUNTERFITS?
THANKS BOB

You can’t really counterfeit the cheapest radio in the world that’s good - gearing up to counterfeit something cheap is pointless.

I suspect you’re perhaps a but green with computers?

Chirp is a programme for enthusiasts - it reads random data from a huge quantity of radios and then tries to make sense of it, so often the data it reads it doesn’t really understand. The Baofeng software would be best until you get sorted.

Back to basics. Load up the Baofeng software, and if it’s in chinese, then try to find the drop down box with just two choices - and try them until the language changes to something you can read. Save the data with a sensible name. If you open this file, it will retain the english as a default.

Then read the radio and see what appears. Save this as “as supplied” or something, so you can always revert to it.

Now enter some new frequencies - leave everything else the same. If you enter anything outside what the radio can manage, it won’t work. So enter something you know will work. 446.00625 makes sense. Try to send that to the radio. Turn it off, turn it on and then do a read and see if it is there. It should be. If that new frequency is not there, and the radio has reverted to the original, then do exactly the same on the other radio and see if that also refuses to programme. If it does, it’s unlikely both radios have the same programming fault, so assume it’s your computer’s driver, your CPS software or something else computer limited. Install the CPS on another computer and retry. At some point, something will change - maybe a different error message that could help?

Usually if it reads, it writes, so try this and report back.

PS - all caps on a forum is the equivalent of shouting, it’s not something people usually do.
Paul

I am using 888s PC software I notice when I read the radio data the freq range window indicates VHF2 245-246MHZ, but all my channels are 400 plus mhz.

If I change any one of the rx frequencies I get a default 246 MHZ automatically filled in the slot.

So I changed the freq range to uhf4 400-470MHZ which cleared all my RX FREQ. Settings.

I filled in all 16 valid frs - gmrs frequncies and wrote them to the radio. Turned the power off, counted to 10, turned it back on counted to 10, then read the results into the software–all the chan 1-16 slots are completely blank.
Not only that but the box ticks for VOX Func, scan func, voice func, and fm func change to ticked when I unticked then before writing to the radio.

Also the vox gain and the voice annunciaton changes from what I programed it to be.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
BOB

Really sorry - but I cannot replicate this at all on my system here - I wasn’t even aware that the 888’s had an option for anything other than UHF - mine certainly don’t seem to do this. Are you sure you are using the correct CPS - Could you be using the version meant for the dual band radios - the UV series, rather than the correct 888 one?

This radio is not legally allowed to operate on FRS/GMRS frequencies. Use of this radio on said frequencies is illegal.

As such, thread closed.

1 Like