Banking Hall Concierge Radio setup

Good day guys,

I’m looking for help in selecting a solution for the application of banking hall floor walkers. We imagine the workers to have headset that communicate on a set channel. Maybe multiple channels for the purpose of the customer’s visit

(for example the floor walker met the client and directs them to Area 3 where they perform account updates, she would have alerted Area 3 of the incoming client handoff)

What solution could we use for this?

It would help a lot if we knew what country you are in.

Generally speaking, the need for utmost privacy and discretion will be very important in these situations. If any two-way radio calls can be monitored by anyone, clients can find themselves targeted by criminals who now know when they arrive and when they leave.

This is not a situation for a budget solution. Depending on your country, you are looking at digital radios operating on your own business frequencies and using encrypted communication, or frequency-hopping spread-spectrum radios, with the frequency algorithms changed daily.

I would HIGHLY suggest you find a good independent two-way radio consultant who can discuss the options. Even good dealers will recommend the services of an independent professional in this case, not just someone wanting to sell you on their system.

Thanks for your reply. This is Bahamas.

Thanks. That helps.

Those are the two solutions that come immediately to mind. Both involve durable and reliable communication radios, with very good voice clarity and complete privacy.

An important part of the system is the ability to plug in good quality accessories that will make life easier for your employees and ensure complete discretion for your clients. I would recommend good quality surveillance-type headsets for your employees. They are simple, discreet, comfortable to wear all day long and very private. You can recognize them by the “Secret Service-style” of clear plastic curly audio tubes that go behind the ear, and an ear mold that goes inside the ear. The mic can be clipped to a lapel, or even run down the sleeve of a jacket, just like the Secret Service.

If you are going to start looking at headsets, the difference between them is usually the configuration of the wires. A two-wire surveillance headset has two wires from the radio; one goes to the earpiece and one goes down the sleeve to the mic.

Unless you need something very hidden, my preference is the 1.5 wire. This has one wire to the mic, which is usually clipped on the front of a shirt, and another wire from the mic to the earpiece.

The best piece of advice I can give you for these surveillance headsets is to throw away the earplug, and use a properly sized ear mold. I spend 10 to 12 hours with a two-way radio in my ear, and the ear molds let me hear ambient sounds, plus I can wear it all day and not even know it’s there.

I was consider the secret service style of headset but I’ve seen on amazon where they aren’t so durable. Might not be much of an issue if there is a reliable make/model.

What about the radio tech for privacy/security?

I wear headsets 12 hours a day. I need top quality and this is why I rarely buy them on Amazon.

As to radio privacy, please re-read my comments on employing an independent two-way radio consultant familiar with the laws of your country and the frequency spectrum available to you. We really can’t give you more detailed advice because we don’t know what is allowed there, the size of your budget, the number of employees, the area you need to cover, local conditions that will affect reception, frequencies that are available to you, and the hundreds of other factors that go into these decisions.

Privacy costs money. How private do you want to go?

No we don’t buy from amazon, we use amazon to get customer feedback as to reliability etc.

I came here to get a heads up as to what may be of concern and what may be available. We’ve since contacted local dealers for Motorola who also said they’d provide us with frequency, or if we use digital radios privacy would be less of a concern. Thanks for your replies, we have a better understanding of what we are doing.

Sounds good, but I still think an independent consultant can show you all the options for your country, and break down the costs of radios, programming, licence fees and encryption fees.

There are other choices in digital radios on the market that could suit your needs. Motorola radios, of course, are top quality and they have a wide range of models.

Don’t forget to factor in the cost of obtaining and maintaining your radio licence for your frequencies, plus the cost in time for radio management and programming.

Also, digital radios can be monitored, the same as analog. It requires encryption to prevent radios from being monitored, and this involves an extra cost.

The one licence-free option you might look at (if they are legal in your country) is the Motorola DTR/DLR series radios. These are the frequency-hopping, spread-spectrum radio that cannot be monitored by anyone without another DTR or DLR radio. They are full digital, have great clarity and excellent range, especially in buildings. The DLR1060 would fit your needs. No licencing is required and no encryption is needed because they can only be monitored by other DTR or DLR radios with the same ID number. (There are ten thousand combinations available.)

Motorola has a new DTR model due soon (DTR700) so maybe check with your Motorola dealer to see if they are legal in the Bahamas.

DLR radios are not cheap, but you get a top quality compact two-way radio, with no further expense for licences or encryption, and ID numbers can be changed for your whole fleet in minutes on free Customer Programming Software or directly on the radios.

Let us know if we can help with any other questions.

If you use a proper radio dealer, they might be able to set up radios to show in the display who is talking, or where they are or loads of extra features. Amazon sell cardboard boxes with unknown goodies inside. Their user reviews tend to be from casual users who bought them cheap and their opinion could be totally skewed or simply wrong. Radio dealers do far more than just sell boxes - they sell working, reliable systems.