Anyone want to evaluate a Wouxun KG-UVN1?

Wouxun just released a special version of the KG-UVN1 dual band DMR radio. @Rick posted a good overview on our blog and we talked about it on our podcast. If you’re not familiar with it yet, it is sort of Wouxun’s answer to the TYT MD-2017 or the Anytone AT-D878UV. One thing that sets it apart from the TYT is support for 160k contacts, which is enough room for the entire RadioID.net database (which is preloaded) and one thing that sets it apart from the Anytone is the price ($159).

Anyway, Wouxun sent us a couple of sample radios with our last order and I would like to get some feedback on the radio from some enthusiasts. Is anyone interested in spending a couple of weeks evaluating the radio and then writing a review here on the forum?

If interested, we’d send you a radio and programming cable along with a return label to send it back so that we can pass it along to the next person (if there’s enough interest). All we ask is that you give it a fair shake and return it within a reasonable amount of time (a couple of weeks), then write a fair and honest review about your experience here on the forum.

The radio is in the process of being type accepted for FCC part 90, but since that is not yet complete the radio is for Amateur use only. You must be a licensed ham to participate.

Please reply to this topic or send a PM if interested!

1 Like

Hi, Danny. I’d be happy to review the Wouxun KG-UVN1 if this is still available. I have several radio reviews/tutorials on YouTube listed under K3NYJ Patrick. I would gladly post my honest evaluation both here on the forum and an up-close review on YouTube. Thanks! ~ Patrick

1 Like

Sadly I’m very tied up with parallel testing at the moment, coming across this post late in the day, as it would be an interesting 878UV comparison and if it gave a useful budget 878 type experience for folks who can’t justify an 878UV, it’s sounding like an interesting option. Especially given the 878UV is one of the rare animal where Ham Radio use was engineered into design rather than an afterthought or after-sales workaround.

And given their ham market analogue kit can hold it’s ground, a similar design effort to a dual mode digital unit wouldn’t be unusual from that brand.

So good luck to testers, and if it proves to be as good as spec‘d, that’s a good thing.

Wouxun has appeared to abandon any updates to the firmware or CPS. That is a shame because it’s a nice radio.