Antenna Recomendations for Handheld Radio's?

Hello All,
Can anyone recommend an upgraded antenna for a business class two way radio (Midland BR200)? We use these for indoors and the signal is a little weak at the far ends of our buildings with the 2 inch stock antenna.

Midland makes a Unity Gain antenna that is about 6in or 8in long, HERE. But is this the best choice or do you have a better recommendation? There seems to be quite a number of options with low gain, mid gain, high gain? I only need to increase the signal slightly for better clarity and I don’t desire anything longer than 8 in.

Thanks,
Ralph

That antenna should work fine for what you are looking for.

Those Signal Sticks seem amazing! great gain and they literally can be tied in a knot

I meant to follow up. I did purchase the unity gain antenna for our Midland radios and we realized about a 20-25 percent improvement in signal quality for our trouble area. The stronger signal resulted in less static which now allows us to use headsets in that area.

God Bless,
Ralph

I’m afraid I still think it’s difficult to beat the antenna that comes with the radio. The so called ‘better’ ones can have a bit more gain but always require you to keep the radio in a certain plane and make the radio unstable on a table and impossible to put in a pocket. The concept of a portable with extra performance is a bit compromised. Do you ever see police or fire radios with daft antennas? No. Always the stock ones for best practical performance.

It’s a bit old now but have a look here.

1 Like