Need to know if this two way will work

Will this radio work in 2 miles city limits cobra the manufacturer MR HH350 FLT - 6 Watt

Hi Mike, the Cobra HH350 FLT is a marine radio and operates only on marine channels in the VHF band. It is not legal for use as a land based walkie talkie. Two way radios operate by line of sight, so although it can cover a lot of area over open water, it is not likely to have much range in a city. It wasn’t designed for that purpose.

In the future, please avoid multiple postings with the same query. The forum is designed to show the latest posts where ever they are, so when you post the first time, it will be seen.

Sorry I am new to this so what would you recommend for a 1.8 to 2.0 miles range for two ways in a suburban area

Thanks

It doesn’t really work like that. It’s about topography, geography and the objects in the way.
Some radios have higher power, but concrete with rebar is a great barrier to RF, and the curvature of the earth itself is a huge barrier. Your radio, being marine, is a great example. If you are in a canoe, the horizon is about 2.5 miles away - and all you have in the way is the water, with perhaps the occasional boat to reduce it further. If you have a VHF or UHF radio, then from your upstairs to a friends upstairs with nothing between could be workable over 3 or 4 miles. Go downstairs and it doesn’t work. If your house is on a small hill and so is your friends, but there is a valley between - then you might be 10 miles apart and it works great. Here, I live on a hill - well, it’s in a harbour town and I’m about 200 ft above the water. My office is 1 mile away, and I can just get from there to here, as the office is in the harbour area.

See the problem? Even worse, a radio in your pocket with the antenna up against your body soaks up the RF too - so while it might work on the desk, it wont perk up if the person the other end calls. Licence wise, or licence free I can’t advise on because I’m in England - but most countries have free systems available or paid for licenced ones, and the main difference is a change in power level and freedom from other users interfering. The low power ones have less range of course - often measured in metres/yards, not miles.

2 miles in an urban area is going to be challenging for any portable handheld radio. As Paul said, obstructions are a huge factor in range, and in an urban environment, there is too much concrete and steel in the way for straight radio-to-radio communications across a radius of 1.8 to 2 miles. A suburban environment is better, but not by much. You will likely get a lot more with a mobile or base station radio and a strategically placed antenna, but results are still not guaranteed. This is why most two way radios rely on repeaters to get across a city.

Our Radio Range Chart can help clarify the issue.