Who can operate long range commercial HF transceivers

I ran across this article, http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-Use-Long-Range-Radio?&id=2005411 which talks about secured transmissions in a long range application. From what I’m gathering, this is a commercial license (vs. amateur license) situation, and encryption can be used with this type of radio.

What I don’t know is what it takes to legally broadcast/receive with a radio of this type?

I’m guessing it’s probably pretty salty with plenty of hoop-jumping, but can anyone give me any specifics of what it would take for a private individual to get and use a radio of the type mentioned in the above article?

HF communications require an Amateur Radio license. A test is required.

Good Morning

Not to start out on a negative note - but JWilkers is not entirely true.

There is more then just the Amateur Radio on the HF bands…

Even the telephone company used a type of HF communications for long distance communications at one time or another…

If you look at the FCC band plan - you can see many things in the spectrum of 10 meters to 200 meters.

A lot of commercial users, the government and even maritime - boats and airplanes.

Each requires its own type of transmitter and license.

Yes, I am aware of the multitude of other services on the HF bands. I was just trying to keep my comments short. There are commercial broadcasters, marine radio, some business use, tons of services.

never tried such things anytime ever in my life. need advice to start of some of the commercials

What do you mean by commercial?

I don’t know who published the article listed above - but it might be true in some third world country - I don’t know, but in the USA - we have rules that are set forth by the FCC that governs everything that is broadcasted over the airwaves with more then 1 watt - and other then the government / military / police - themselves - nothing is allowed to be encripted - unless you are using a sattelite that you own - such as Echostar / Direct TV / XM radio etc…

The equipment listed on the web site is CODAN - Codan LMR products are certified to meet the requirements of TIA, P25, FCC, DHS CAP, IC, ACMA…

Amateur radio uses less then 1500 watts - depending upon the frequency and your license class - could be as little as 50 or 100 watts. and does not allow for a one way ( broadcast ) of your signal…

The other services can use more then 1500 watts PEP and at one time required the user to possess a valid General RadioTelephone license - which at one time, was even harder to get then a amateur radio license.

To use anything encryped, the user at each end would have to have the same type of encryption… I wouldn’t be as easy as just buying something and turning it on. The government also uses scramblers - which would make it almost impossible to listen to. And - things such as Open Sky - also requires a user log in name and password.