NEW - Motorola DLR series - rugged, licence-free, high-quality digital radios

Integrating DTR and DLR radios can be done but there is poor documentation on how to do this and it was up to certain dedicated enthusiasts to learn on how to do it.

Integrating DLR radios with existing DTR410, DTR550 or DTR650 radios
The key is to understand the differences in how these radios communicate with each other. The older DTR radio sends out a handshake signal on a channel, which is not really a channel in the traditional analog sense; it is a programmed frequency-hopping algorithm (called a talkgroup or hopset) that will change frequencies many times in a second, staying on any one frequency for only 90 milliseconds. For convenience, we simply refer to these digital talkgroups as “channels.” If the radio detects another radio within range on that channel, it checks to see if it has a matching Group ID number. If so, it opens the channel for communication. The DTR has channels 1 to 10, and Group ID numbers 1 to 100. Each ID can only be used once so there are about 950 unique combinations that can be used.

The DLR uses a different system. It has the same channels (and same preprogrammed hopsets) as the older DTRs, but they don’t communicate with programmed Public and Private groups. If it detects another radio in range on the channel it is broadcasting on, it checks to see if the radio’s Profile ID number matches. Each individual DLR radio has a Profile ID number, versus the DTR that has each Public or Private group has a Group ID number. The DLR can use channels 1 to 18, and Profile ID numbers from 0000 to 9999. This gives it almost 200,000 unique combinations.

The DLR radios can use BOTH Profile ID numbers or Public Group ID numbers on the factory default settings. On DLR channel 1. it corresponds to a DTR set on channel 1, Group ID 1; on DLR channel 2, it corresponds to a DTR set on channel 1, Group ID 2; on DLR channel 3, it corresponds to a DTR set on channel 1, Group ID 3, etc. “Channels” as announced by the voice prompt in the DLR from the factory, are not the actual channel hopset numbers. They are simply the channel placements from one to two (on the DLR1020) and one to six (on the DLR1060) From the factory, all six channels are set to hopset channel 1, and ID numbers go from 1 2 or 1 to 6.

The key to getting them working together is to use a programming cable and the CPS to convert the DLR radios so they don’t look for Profile ID numbers; they look for Public Group ID numbers. You do this by turning off the Profile ID Number Lock, and then by adding new Public Groups into the radios instead of the existing channel assignments.

This means that you lower the channel choices on the DLR from 1 to 18 down to 1 to 10, and the Profile ID numbers from 0000 to 9999 down to Group ID numbers 1 to 100. But in practical terms, one will never need 200,000 combinations no matter how crowded the airways get; 950 is more than sufficient, even in the most densely used area.

To change the DLR from a Profile ID system to a Public Group ID system, you need the optional DLR programming cable plus the free Customer Programming Software (CPS) from Motorola. You do NOT need the CPS and programming cable (plus a USB-to-serial port adapter) for the DTR.

The first step is to program new Group ID numbers into your DTR radios. It is easier of course to do this in the CPS, but it can be done manually by using the programming menu from the keyboard.

Step 1 - Reprogramming the DTR to be ready for DLR integration
First thing to remember is that the DTR can send private transmissions and messages to individual radios (the DLR can’t) BUT only on a “home” channel. Plus, you need to read each radio’s ID into every other radio. Once you do that, you add each radio from the contact list into the scroll list, using the keypad. So, assuming you have already done all this on your whole fleet of DTRs, here is what you have to change:

1. You can use any channel you wish (from 1 to 10) but change each Public Group ID using only numbers 21 to 100. The DLR takes up IDs from 1 to 20 by default, and these cannot be changed or deleted.

EXAMPLE
I programmed my existing DTR fleet to:

• Public group 1 (named “Main” on the LCD screen): channel 2, group ID 21
  • Public group 2 (named “Channel 2” on the LCD screen): channel 2, group ID 22
  • Public group 3 (named “Channel 3” on the LCD screen): channel 2, group ID 23
  • Public group 4 (named “Channel 4” on the LCD screen): channel 2, group ID 24
  • Public group 5 (named “Channel 5” on the LCD screen): channel 2, group ID 25
  • Public group 6 (named “Channel 5” on the LCD screen): channel 2, group ID 26

I listed each contact as channel 2 in the programming software. Note that ALL my channels were programmed the same channel number. I did this so they all became a “home” channel, and I could send a private message to any other radio on my contact list or scroll list, no matter what channel they were on. I also programmed them so that they would go back to a home channel of my choosing (“Main”) after no activity for 30 seconds.

Step 2- Programming the DLRs to integrate with your existing fleet of DTR radios

1. This is the part that took lots of trial and error. First, you need the software and a programming cable. Hook them up, turn the radio on and open the CPS. Click the “RADIO” button at the top to take it from HOME, and then click the tiny reload button just to the right of the Auto Detect drop-down box. This refreshes your com port (USB port). Then click the drop-down box and select the Com port that now appears just under the Auto-detect line. Now click “Read radio.”

2. When the profile appears, look at the top of the profile on the far right side. Click “Switch to ADVANCED.” Now uncheck the box marked “Profile ID Number Lock.” By unclicking this box, this will let you manually enter channel numbers into new Public Group profiles.

3. Scroll to the bottom and under Public Groups (Advanced) click Add. Change the name of the new Public Group that appears so that it matches your first DTR group name. (“Main” in my example above.) Then change the Frequency Hopset number from the default 1 to the channel that matches your DTRs. (“2” in my example above.) As long as you unchecked the Profile ID Number Lock, you can change the channel to anywhere from 1 to 10. Then go to the ID column, and using the drop-down box, change the ID number to match the Group ID numbers for the corresponding Group on your DTR. (“21” in my example above.)

You need to add at least one new Public Group from the Advanced menu to talk to a DTR, and you can add as many as two (DLR1020) or six (DLR1060.)

1. Add as many Public Groups from the DTR to the DLR as you like. The DLR1060 can take those Public Groups and use them for up to six of its channels. Simply add each new Public Group, and change the name, channel number and ID number to match the corresponding list on your DTRs.

2. Now, here comes the tricky part. The DLR still has the six defaults loaded in for its channels. Switch back to the BASIC profile. Under Channels (Basic) click “Edit More” beside each channel. Now enter a new name if you want. Under Mode, change from “Profile ID” to “Public.” Then change Channel Mapping into the appropriate channel name that you created back in step 3. Do this for each channel you wish to match to the DTRs.

3. Now click Write to Radio. Disconnect and test. If everything works well, reconnect, read the radio again and then click Save to Profile. Name it anything you like. (“DLR to DTR settings Channel 2.wp9” is what I called mine.)

4. Now, if you have multiple DLR radios, just connect each one in turn and click Write to Radio. The software will recognize each radio by its unique ID number.

What you CAN’T do
The DTR can transmit to all radios in a public group, a smaller subset of radios in a private group or call individual radios. To call individual radios, they must be loaded as contacts into every other radio. (It also helps to move each radio, especially the ones you use a lot, from the Contacts to the Scroll List.

But the DTR cannot add a DLR radio into its contact list, and the DLR radio cannot be renamed. It will show up on your DTR radio screen only by its 11-digit unit ID number.

Stay tuned tomorrow for another interesting trick in programming DLR radios to integrate into a DTR fleet.

1 Like