need info.

The deal is my wife and I got rid of our cell phones. Is there any two-way radios that will allow me to talk to her about 8 miles away in the city? We live in Cleveland and its all residential area. Everything I read even though it says it will transmit 20, 25, 30 miles is actually like two miles. I need some suggestions.

Unfortunately there is not a radio our there that will get that kind of distance without the use of a repeater. You would need a 4 or 5 watt radio that is repeater capable as well as a repeater. A radio repeater is a combination of a radio receiver and a radio transmitter that receives a weak or low-level signal and retransmits it at a higher level or higher power, so that the signal can cover longer distances without degradation.

Getting or using a repeater sounds expensive. Is It? If its not to costly where do you suggest shopping for one? Do you really think it will work? Thanks, Ken

Why would you do this?

Maybe $100+ a month is too much for some folks?

I do agree, no one, especially a woman, should be without a cell phone. Even if it is a pay-per-use model for emergencies and break downs.

get a 25Watt mobile radio :smiley: