Motorola DTR550 detailed review

Small price to pay. It’s free! :slight_smile:

Sorry to glob on to an old thread but trying to find out if its possible to read/write the DTR650/550 code plug using any of the standard Motorola RSS software. Using iDEN RSS 26 i’m able to get the DTR in RSS IN SESSION mode but not able to actually read the phone. i’m using a USB cable.
Any help would be appreciated.
-curttel

I have given some thought to getting some keyboards for my DTR550s for texting. How well does texting work on these?

Texting is technically possible, but would be an exercise in frustration. The screen is tiny and the messages would get lost. Plus, the keyboard is very tiny and an awkward fit. I consider it only useful for programming the radio and adding some custom pre-made texts.

I keep them very short; things like, “Please repeat transmission,” and “Busy. Call back in 5.”

Thank you for the reply. I did find one of the keyboards on Ebay for $7.00. I certainly agree that it would be difficult, at best, to do actual texting on it.

I have recently purchased several of the Motorola DTR550 radios. After trying to program these radios using the software and serial cable, I found your review. I must admit, I am totally lost. I have ready the manual through twice, shook my head three times, and like you, I think I am headed to the pub, and I do not even drink. Whew.

Have a couple of drinks, relax and when you are up to it, let us know what you are specifically trying to do. There are a couple of DTR “experts” here who can help guide you.

The most important rule to get the radios talking to each other is that all the radios must be set to the same channel number and the same unit ID number. While that seems counter-intuitive, this is what gets you started with a “public group” or basically your own “net” of radios. There are up to 10 channels, plus 100 unit ID numbers, giving you slightly less than 1000 combinations. (It’s not an even 1000 because each unit ID can only be used once.)

For example, set up all your radios on channel 1, and then set all to unit ID 25. Then they will talk to each other. Once you have them all talking to each other on one big public group, then you can start thinking about programming each radio into the contact list of every other radio, so you can have one-on-one conversations if you wish.

I don’t have enough radios to justify smaller subset “private” groups, but that can be done too.

Programming the radios is difficult and not very intuitive (to say the least)
I have written about what I have learned here. In the meantime ask specifics and we’ll try to help.

Sir, Thank you for this review. I know it is an old review, but it has sure helped me with my DTR radios.

Chickenhawk. Have you ever tried connecting one of your DTR radios to a fixed base antenna to increase the effective range? I am contemplating trying this, but because of your post I read someplace pertaining to your findings in reference to mobile antennas, I am somewhat hesitant to spend the money trying the base antenna.

I have a forty foot tower beside my building. In my mind, attaching a base 900 mhz antenna about thirty foot up the tower would drastically increase the line of sight, thus increasing my range.

If you have any insight into this, I would appreciate it.

In case anyone’s interested, I’m selling off all my DTR radios.

Click my sig to get in touch.

Thanks Chickenhawk for this great review… I am planning on getting this product but couldn’t find a good review. With this I think I am 100% convinced.

Sorry double post

Just FYI, the DTR 410/550/650 are being discontinued. They’re still great radios and you’ll have no problem finding them used.

The DLR series and more recently the DTR600/700 are the replacements.

Just to add to my friend’s post, the new DTR radios are now on the market. They replace the now-discontinued DTR410, DTR550 and DTR650 radios. Plus, the new DTR600 (with 30 channels) and DTR700 (with 50 channels) use the same programming and software as the DLR1020 and DLR1060. Programming is MUCH simpler!

Motorola is 100% supporting their licence-free spread spectrum radios, and there are now two series - the DLR with their more compact design, and the DTR with more channels and a slightly larger form factor and LCD screen.

Existing users can still integrate their older DTR radios with the newer DLR radios and the newest DTR600 and DTR700. It takes a bit of work and some careful reading and programming, but can be done. They will all still talk together.

There are dealers who still have an existing stock of the DTR550 and many users are selling off their used models. You can still get new batteries for them and they all fit the same accessories, so this will be an option as well. Considering the first generation of the digital DTR radios came out in 2005, this shows how well-made they are.

I tried clicking on some of those links but they are not responding. Could you check and get them fixed?

Many years later… Would love to fix all the links in this thread, but they are closed for editing.

I did however transfer my forum over to Discourse (As they did here I believe) so all the old posts should still be available.