Two Way Radio Forum  

Go Back   Two Way Radio Forum > Two Way Radios > General Discussion

Click here to visit our ecommerce site - BuyTwoWayRadios.com

Old 05-19-2018, 02:22 PM

Default How do I add a broadcast channel?

Hey all,

I'm new to this, so apologies in advance if I explain my question badly.

I have 4 TIDRadio TD-M8 and 2 Baofeng UV-82 set up over 7 channels. Everything is as I'd like it, the software is pretty straightforward to use. Each channel uses CTCSS and everything seems to work great.

Only thing I would like is a broadcast channel on number 8 where anyone can go and send a message out to all radios, no matter what channel they're on at the time.

Is that possible?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 05-21-2018, 03:09 PM

Default Re: How do I add a broadcast channel?

If you mean that ch 1 has tone 1, channel 2 has a different tone and so on, and you want to do something to talk to every radio on the channel irrespective of the CTCSS, then I'm afraid you can't - because CTCSS is a single tone system. With commercial radios that use sequential tone signalling then this kind off thing is possible with careful programming, and of course with digital systems this kind off thing is built in. CTCSS is a prevention system to keep radios silent - so they don't have a CTCSS defeat option.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulears View Post
If you mean that ch 1 has tone 1, channel 2 has a different tone and so on, and you want to do something to talk to every radio on the channel irrespective of the CTCSS, then I'm afraid you can't - because CTCSS is a single tone system. With commercial radios that use sequential tone signalling then this kind off thing is possible with careful programming, and of course with digital systems this kind off thing is built in. CTCSS is a prevention system to keep radios silent - so they don't have a CTCSS defeat option.
Got you.

So, if I keep all the channels on their current frequencies, except remove the CTCSS on each one, am I right in understanding that each channel still would only pick up other radios set to the same frequency?

I guess I just added CTCSS because I could. But maybe with it removed, I can add a broadcast channel that will reach everyone, regardless of what channel they're on?
Old 05-23-2018, 04:22 PM

From what little I've read about the TID radios and my knowledge of Baofeng, I strongly suspect you're not going to be able to talk to all the other radios at the same time unless they're all on the same channel, CTCSS or not.

A way to do what you wish is to obtain radios that have a "dual watch" function in them. In other words, the radio samples a "home" channel periodically and if anything is heard on that channel, the radio automatically receives it. Many handhelds designed for amateur operation have this function, but then you're getting into licensing issues and what your intent is for this function.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
From what little I've read about the TID radios and my knowledge of Baofeng, I strongly suspect you're not going to be able to talk to all the other radios at the same time unless they're all on the same channel, CTCSS or not.

A way to do what you wish is to obtain radios that have a "dual watch" function in them. In other words, the radio samples a "home" channel periodically and if anything is heard on that channel, the radio automatically receives it. Many handhelds designed for amateur operation have this function, but then you're getting into licensing issues and what your intent is for this function.
Right, "dual watch" definitely sounds like what I need. I'm a newbee to this tech, but it does seem that the radios would need to monitor two frequencies at the same time in order for all units to just pick up another frequency while on their own independent channels.

It would be great if someone could confirm this.