Two Way Radio Forum  

Go Back   Two Way Radio Forum > Two Way Radios > Amateur Radio

Click here to visit our ecommerce site - BuyTwoWayRadios.com

Old 03-21-2016, 08:29 AM

Cool BaoFeng Mark II Firmware Version

Hi,

I recently bought a BaoFeng GT-3 Mark II and successfully programmed it using Chirp software. The last time I tried, the software on the included CD would not talk to the radio.

I became curious as to whether I actually had a Mark II as the radio is identical in appearance to the original GT-3. The Mark II is reputed to have an updated chipset.

I set out to determine the firmware version. I watched Danny Feemster of BuyTwoWayRadios.COM's video and read the firmware version using Chirp software. The problem is my Firmware Message 1 reads HN5RV01 and Firmware Message 2 reads 1FP325. 6+ Power-On Message 1 reads 141006N and Message 2 is blank. These messages in no way resemble the data Danny got in his demonstration.

Can anyone tell me what radio I actually have? I'm beginning to wonder if any two of these radios are alike!

73 de Gerry, WB9EBO in Florida
Old 03-24-2016, 02:02 PM

Default Re: BaoFeng Mark II Firmware Version

power on firmware version no longer works. Only Chirp tells you now. I forget which line is which, since it really no longer matters. There really are no upgrades to functionality. It is always best to only program a radio, based on each individual radio's profile. In other words, even if you have 2 identical radios, you should never program one with a file from another.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:29 AM

Default Re: BaoFeng Mark II Firmware Version

jwilkers,

Thanks, I am aware the power on firmware version doesn't mean anything. As I explained, I followed Danny Feemster's instruction video and got the firmware version that I posted. I was hoping to get evidence that I actually have a GT-3 Mark II, possibly from an owner of a Mark II.

The fact that the Chirp software works with this radio whereas the BaoFeng supplied software doesn't, makes me suspicious.

Gerry