Two Way Radio Forum  

Go Back   Two Way Radio Forum > Two Way Radios > Business Radios

Click here to visit our ecommerce site - BuyTwoWayRadios.com

Old 05-13-2016, 05:05 PM

Default Radios for nonprofit musuem ship

Hi all,

I am looking to get ten pofung gt-1 radios to use onboard a naval musuem ship. We are a non profit 501c. The ship is 700 feet long with several deck. I have tested two of these radios and they work in the full length of the ship (which is hard to find). We have tried some mid range Motorola gmrs radios and they struggled to get 500 feet of range while inside the ship. But they are still better then nothing. We have a really tight budget so we are limited to $20-30 radios.

So anyways
My questions are;
Can we use gmrs radios legally for the musuem?

Can I use the pofung radios and program them to work legally? I have read and generally understand why they are not legal to use right out of the box.

Can we get a license for the musuem the would let us use/program the gt-1 radios?

Individual licenses are out of the question because we have lots of volunteers and it wouldn't work to get everyone licensed.

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Radios for nonprofit musuem ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosull.88 View Post
Hi all,

I am looking to get ten pofung gt-1 radios to use onboard a naval musuem ship. We are a non profit 501c. The ship is 700 feet long with several deck. I have tested two of these radios and they work in the full length of the ship (which is hard to find). We have tried some mid range Motorola gmrs radios and they struggled to get 500 feet of range while inside the ship. But they are still better then nothing. We have a really tight budget so we are limited to $20-30 radios.

So anyways
My questions are;
Can we use gmrs radios legally for the musuem?

Can I use the pofung radios and program them to work legally? I have read and generally understand why they are not legal to use right out of the box.

Can we get a license for the musuem the would let us use/program the gt-1 radios?

Individual licenses are out of the question because we have lots of volunteers and it wouldn't work to get everyone licensed.

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.
You would need to get a business license. Those radios are not legal for use on FRS/GMRS. At any rate on GMRS, each person using radios would need their own license,
Old 05-13-2016, 05:31 PM

Thanks for your reply. I'm reading on the Fcc website about business radios now.
Would the license cover all users?
If I applied for a license would the fcc give me a certain frequency and power limit to use?
Old 06-20-2016, 01:40 AM

The business license will cover all of your employees/volunteers. The GMRS license will not. GMRS is not designed for business use. I have used 4 watt UHF radios on 1000 ft. long, 14 level cruise ships with very little problems. Maybe you sould check those out.

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I'm reading on the Fcc website about business radios now.
If I applied for a license would the fcc give me a certain frequency and power limit to use?
Old 06-20-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
If you apply for an "itinerant" business license, you will be allowed to use any frequency in the itinerant group. The limitation there, however is power and system requirements. For your applications, this won't be an issue. All users would be covered under that license.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:45 AM

You may be better off using the Motorola DTR or DLR radios. No license is required and they will likely cover your entire ship even better than the UHF/VHF radios you're talking about using.