Two Way Radio Forum  

Go Back   Two Way Radio Forum > Two Way Radios > General Discussion

Click here to visit our ecommerce site - BuyTwoWayRadios.com

Old 08-20-2008, 08:24 PM

Question General antenna Mods

I'm having a hard time finding any reviews regarding modding Frs/Gmrs radio antennas. I know that the FCC does not allow Frs radios to have matched antennas, but Gmrs can have matched antennas. When they combine Frs and Gmrs into one radio having a matched antenna is negated. I have specifically been looking at the Midland gxt900vp4, and it doesn't seem to have a removable antenna. Maybe this type of modding is easy and needs not any real guides dedicated to it, or I'm not looking hard enough. If anybody has any advice please reply.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:39 PM

Default Re: General antenna Mods

The GXT900vp4 does not have a removable antenna as you already guessed. Modifying the antenna is against FCC rules if the modification extends the power beyond the 5370.2 mW it currently outputs, listed on page 43 of the SAR report. It also states that "The measured peak output power should be greater and within 5% than EMI measurement.".

I bought a pair of MURS (free license) two-way radios (Dakota Alert) that do have detachable antennas, allowing a greater then 2 W output that it currently has. I will purchase a base station that I can really get aggressive in antenna purchases if I choose.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cklicker7239 View Post
I'm having a hard time finding any reviews regarding modding Frs/Gmrs radio antennas. I know that the FCC does not allow Frs radios to have matched antennas, but Gmrs can have matched antennas. When they combine Frs and Gmrs into one radio having a matched antenna is negated. I have specifically been looking at the Midland gxt900vp4, and it doesn't seem to have a removable antenna. Maybe this type of modding is easy and needs not any real guides dedicated to it, or I'm not looking hard enough. If anybody has any advice please reply.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:17 AM

I already knew that it was illegal as previously stated in my original post, but that won't stop some. The reason why I want to modify my antenna is because of a recent biking accident. The group of friends that I was riding with all had some sort of old motorola frs radio. We all were going at our own pace, so most of the time we were alone, and I ate it pretty hard on switch backs consisting of rock and larger rocks on a trail 13,000 ft up between Angelfire and Taos New Mexico. After I had fallen I went to radio anybody in my group for some first aid equipment and the only person that could hear me on the radio was my buddy who was already at the bottom of the switchbacks. In the end I was fine, just a real nasty charlie horse on my butt and my big toe on my left foot has been numb for the past 2 weeks and is slowly getting the feeling back. I just want to make sure that we can radio each other better than before.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:20 PM

Again.. ANY modifications to said radios are illegal. While GMRS rule allow for external antennas, any FRS/GMRS radio cannot be modified, as it will void all type-acceptance. FRS allows NO external antennas at all.

Your best bet is to get a commercial grade radio with a removeable antenna.

You do have a GMRS license..,. right?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfink16 View Post
The GXT900vp4 does not have a removable antenna as you already guessed. Modifying the antenna is against FCC rules if the modification extends the power beyond the 5370.2 mW it currently outputs, listed on page 43 of the SAR report. It also states that "The measured peak output power should be greater and within 5% than EMI measurement.".

I bought a pair of MURS (free license) two-way radios (Dakota Alert) that do have detachable antennas, allowing a greater then 2 W output that it currently has. I will purchase a base station that I can really get aggressive in antenna purchases if I choose.

Steve
FYI: The MURS radios will not talk to FRS/GMRS radios. Different frequency band. The FRS/GMRS radios are preprogrammed, and the frequencies (channels ) cannot be changed. You can purchase lots of radios that can accept the MURS frequencies, and they can be programmed for your specific needs.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:42 AM

The overall problem I see on this post is most everyone wants the FRS radios to much more than they were designed to do. They are low powered, low quality radios and were really designed as "family" radios. You know, keeping up with each other in the mall, Wal-Mart, etc. They were not designed to talk several miles down the highway (even though they greatly exaggerate the range). If communications is important to you, step up and buy commercial grade radios. They cost more, but the quality and durability are worth the extra money, plus they will last for many years. Buy a 4 or 5 watt unit, file for the FCC license (good for 10 years) and have many years of happy communicating.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:52 PM

I have a bunch of Midland G-11 and Cobra PR2000WX GMRS radios that have removable antennas ;-)
Old 01-07-2009, 09:04 PM

Question Re: General antenna Mods

Hey jgg204, do you still have the cobra PR2000WX radios?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dip Schitz View Post
, plus they will last for many years. Buy a 4 or 5 watt unit, file for the FCC license (good for 10 years) and have many years of happy communicating.
i thought the fcc gmrs license is for 5 years... i am a noobie is a commercial license different?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:24 AM

It is 5 years, and there is talk of removing part of the fee.