Review of Motorola T9500

Motorola T9500 Review

FCC ID: K7GT9500

Power Output:
1.03 Watts GMRS
.11 Wats Low/FRS

This radio has a nice attractive package that fits comfortably in the hand. Its design prevents
it from sitting upright, such as standing on a table. This radio has both CTCSS and DCS coded squelch
for interference protection. These radios don’t separate DCS and CTCSS codes. Codes 1-38 are the standard CTCSS codes. Codes 39-121 are DCS codes. There is no chart giving the codes. You have to guess, so it could be a challenge setting these radios to work with other brands.

Sound Quality. The radio had a nice smooth sounding audio. The compander feature assists
in removing background hiss. Volume levels are not high enough to compensate for extreme
background noise, as you may experience at places such as amusement parks. As these
radios have a compander circuit, hearing radios of other brands may sound a little odd, as they
don’t have the same circuitry. For the most part, this isn’t too objectionable.

Ease of operation: The menu was easy to navigate and access to functions was simply laid out.
Access to the advanced functions was easy, and rarely required consulting the manual.

Advanced Functions: This series has the QT interference protection. This allows similar radios to
communicate with one another, with added protection against other radios “opening the squelch”.
This is used in conjunction with CTCSS/DCS. (NOTE: This is not an encryption or
scrambling system, and does not prevent others from hearing you)
The scan function allows you to lock out channels you do not wish to scan. This is a VERY big
plus. Also, when scanning, it will display the CTCSS/DCS tone of the active channel. Another positive.
These radios also offer Voice Operated Transmit (VOX) for hands free operation.
High and low power are selected by pressing either the upper or lower transmit button. FRS-only channels are low-power only.

These radios offer NOAA weather reception with a weather alert function.

Ranges: (Test area was in a suburban environment. Your experiences may vary based on terrain and environment)

Advertised Range: up to 26 miles
Tested Ranges: (Squelch enabled, Maximum effective range)
Car to Car: .75 miles
Car to house: 1 Mile
Person to house: 1 mile
Person to person outdoors: 1.3 miles

Battery Life: The supplied pack indicates loss of power after 4 hours or so. It remains useable for 8 hours (which is my test standard, typical for most folks) I suggest extra
batteries. I used AA rechargeables which definitely exceeded 8 hours full power.
The supplied chargers ONLY charge the supplied pack and will not charge other
batteries.

Additional Comments: I found the belt clips to be cabable of easy damage. I didn’t
break them; but they don’t seem very durable. Other than that, I can’t complain. I
found these radios of a very good quality, and will enjoy using them. Interference from
household electronice is limited. The best I’ve seen on a consumer radio.

I will handle any questions on this radio.

Good review. Now I know what to expect out of my T9500’s. Regarding the CTCSS/DCS codes, I don’t know if this is any help but, I found the following link that contains the CTCSS codes for the Motorola along with the differences in other radios. It also shows some DCS codes but, I couldn’t make heads or tails out of it. Hope it helps.

http://www.n8lhg.com/gmrs2.htm

Harry

It’s an older list… not current for the current mosels… Thanks anyway.

Have you the actual size, weight and antenna length of the T9500. Has it an external antenna jack/port.

Thanks,

Louis

No official specs. but my quick measurements here say: 2-1/8 inches wide, 7-3/8 inches tall, including antenna. 5" tall from top of volume knob to bottom of radio, and a 3" antenna. Don’t have weight.

Since these radios use FRS frequencies, there is no provision for an external antenna, as FRS regulations forbid the use of external antennas.

Hope this helps.

I have used my T9500 in several instances.Boating they preformed quite well and distance along with reception are optimal. While using them in campsites they did work well although line of site was the factor.I have used them in a noisy environment and if you use a quality headset and boom mike they preform quite well.(The Motorola brand is reasonable and works great).I did however choose to purchase a marine radio for the boat which also uses the frs frequencies and a Rino 530 for my camping use.As for the T9500 radio’s,still have them,still use them and they still work great today.:slight_smile:

What does the roger beep on this radio sound like?

What ever it is it will MOST certainly be ANNOYING! :mad:

Nvm I bought them and got to test them a little and put them to charge. The roger beep is just like every other Motorola talk about. Here they are sitting next to me charging. It sucks I have to wait 16 hours for them to charge. Oh well.

The roger beep on the motos isn’t as annoying as most. It’s more subdued. Of course, you can turn it off, so it can be a nonfactor.

I have recived a set of radios of the model: TLKR T3 (a simpler radio with 8 channels), but I can’t seem to connect T3’s with my T9500’s.

Can anyone help me-i.e. what channel and sub channel do i need to use on the T9500 and what channel on the T3?

The T3 is bought in Germany, so i assume using German approved frequencies.

Any advice, help is much appreciated.

The T3 is on EU PMR446 frequencies in the 446MHz range. They are NOT compatible with GMRS radios at all.