Wouxon 920P-A

I just got one of these, and I don’t understand how to put it into crossband repeater mode. Can anyone assist? I don’t see where to put the VHF frequencies and the UHF frequencies, then tell the radio to crossband repeat.

What you will need to do to activate the cross-band repeater mode is access the menu and choose RPT-SET. You have a choice of five repeater settings. Radio is the normal operating mode of the radio as a transceiver and is the default setting. X-DIRPT and X-TWRDP are for operation as a cross band repeater. you will need to choose one of these two options depending on how you will operate the radio in cross-band repeater mode. X-DIRPT is Directional Cross-Band Repeater Mode and X-TWRDP is Two Way Cross-Band Repeater Mode.

In Directional Cross-Band Repeater Mode, the frequency programmed as the primary VFO is the receiving frequency and the frequency programmed in the secondary VFO is the transmit frequency. In Two Way Cross-Band Repeater Mode, VFO 1 and 2 can both receive and transmit. The first VFO to receive a carrier becomes the receiver and the other VFO becomes the transmitter.

There are two other options in RPT-SET that allow you to use two KG-UV920P-A radios linked together to create a full repeater. CRPT-RX sets the transceiver as the the receiver and CRPT-TX sets it as the transmitter.

The instructions, while sparse, are on page 44 of the manual.

Thanks for the reply. What I’d like to do is use my Wouxon hand held to walk around the neighborhood and still have contact with the club’s VHF repeater. I had hoped to use a UHF frequency into the 920P and come out on the VHF repeater frequency, and vice versa.

What I’m confused about is, do I program a memory channel like #31 with a UHF receive? and a VHF transmit? If so, what cross band repeat mode would I use for that, and how do I tell the radio to use memory channel 31 as the desired frequencies?

Sorry to be such a dunce about this, but I’m new to HAM radio and while I understand the fundamentals of cross band repeat, I’m confused about how to program this radio to do what I want.

-Robert

Part 97 of the FCC rules states that you must have a control operator at the control point while working in cross repeat. The control operator must be a licensed amateur with a Technician class or higher license.

The control operator must identify the cross repeat radio every 10 minutes, even though the person using the cross repeat identifies themselves.

OR if you have a controller that can control the radio, you can program it to identify your signal for you.
BUT, then your cross band repeater has to have either an additional radio that can control the cross band radio on a frequency higher then 220 MHz., or a dedicated private line phone line with a non published phone number.

You see, someone has to be in control at all times.

This is what gets most Technician’s in trouble.

They pass a ham in a day class and think that they know enough to know how to operate on amateur radio.

Or, they figure if it wasn’t legal, the manufacturer wouldn’t include it in the design of their radio.

As I understand it, you don’t set it up through the programming software. It is done directly from the unit. What ever frequency or channel you set the first band to is the receiver and whatever you set the second band to is the transmitter. If you are connecting two units together to create a full (same band and frequency) repeater, the first unit is locked down on the frequency or channel you select as receive-only and the second unit is locked down on the frequency or channel you select as transmit only. Either way, the frequency the radio is currently tuned to is the one used. The repeater mode isn’t preset to a specific channel or channels in the programming software.

If you are using it as a cross-band repeater, you should be able to use one dual band antenna. If you are creating a same band repeater, you will need two units with two antennas, one for receive and the other for transmit.

One more thing to note that is not in the manual. When using as a repeater, it is a good idea to limit your power settings. As versatile as they are, these radios historically do not hold up well for a 100% duty cycle at a full 40W. I personally recommend keeping the radios in low power mode (10W) when operating as a repeater.

Thanks Rick for your reply, you’ve been helpful.

I’ve decided not to even try this since it’s obvious I’m asking something that is either illegal or not smart enough to attempt:

“This is what gets most Technician’s in trouble. They pass a ham in a day class and think that they know enough to know how to operate on amateur radio.
Or, they figure if it wasn’t legal, the manufacturer wouldn’t include it in the design of their radio.”

It’s really sad that some people get pleasure at the expense of others.

I just bought a
Wouxun KG-UV950P Quad Band Base/Mobile Two Way Radio
A couple weeks ago, In hopes of using it as a mobile repeater of sort, thru my local church we have a couple commercial frequencies and a dozen hands held radios ,with that said my goal is to use my new radio as a mobile repeater of sort,
My question is has anybody use the new Wouxun KG-UV950P Quad Band Base/Mobile Two Way Radio
In this way with one radio or two.

Hi
i use two wouxun kguv920p as repeater.
one as RX - from menu CRPT-RX
one as TX - from menu CRPT-TX
i have one problem.
please see my video test and help me.
http://www.4shared.com/video/Vm6aO9Bpce/VIDEO0022.html
the problem is that the handheld no one send and repeater RX receive and Repeater TX send and handheld no two get the frequency but the voice can not be hear.
Thanks