Wouxun KG-UV920P & UV920P-A...Didderence?

Hi Guys,

First post and new to the site. I stumbled across BTWR a week ago and have been eye-balling the “Ham Radio Starter Kit - Mobile/Base Station” you have on your site.

I see that the radio offered is the UV920P-“A”. So, my question is, what’s the diff between it and the UV920P…w/out the “A” classification? Is the A the older unit? Newer? I understand there have been a few revisions on this unit since release which I know is typical with new radio’s as they work the unfound bugs out.

Thanks in advance for any clarification you can give on this!

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/10846

The P version was the first attempt, which didn’t get very good reviews from the users.

The A is the Amateur version

The P version is the one that meets the new narrow-banding requirements for part 95.

You mean the R version? And, I thought they all met the narrow band specs?

Correct, the R version was first. To clear up possible confusion, the radio meets the narrowband requirements for Part 90. There are no narrowband requirements for Part 95 and this radio is currently not Part 95 compliant.

To answer your original question, The KG-UV920P-A is the latest version of the 920P and they’ve worked out most of the bugs in the original. I have one that my son and I use at home and it performs very well for us. I particularly like the hand mic. The Programming software requires you to manually enter offset frequencies for repeaters instead of automatically calculating them as some programs like CHIRP do, but that’s not a major inconvenience.

The only issue I have with it is the high volume on the second volume setting. In the first position the volume is very low as expected, but when moving to the second position the audio level is much louder than it should be at such a low setting. When using it as a base station it may be a bit overbearing, but now that I think of it, when used in a vehicle it actually may be acceptable to help compensate for noise from the vehicle and road.

Thanks for that Rick. So, does “A” mean Amatuer ver. then as Walkie said? Is it locked to those VHF/UHF freq’s only or, can it be unlocked using the software? I’m still a little fuzzy on this part…

I don’t think so, one of my friend who owns UV-920 P and he contacted with ebay sells for asking for the difference UV-920P with UV-920P-A.
The services told him ,the “A” means for"American

The differences is
UV-902P Step Frequency: 5KHz/6.25KHz/10KHz/12.5KHz/20KHz/25KHz/30KHz/50KHz/100KHz

uv-920p-A: Step Frequency: 2.5 KHz/5KHz/6.25KHz/10KHz/12.5KHz/20KHz/25KHz/30KHz/50KHz/100KHz upgrade narrow-banding