Two Way Radio Forum  

Go Back   Two Way Radio Forum > Two Way Radios > Marine Radios

Click here to visit our ecommerce site - BuyTwoWayRadios.com

Old 07-18-2010, 02:50 PM

Default Land vhf frequencies on marine vhf radio, opinions, legal issues?

Im fairly new to the in depth of radio/FCC legalities, but ive been listening for years.

Im looking to purchase a vhf radio for use in my volunteer fire/rescue ems station and monitor local LE traffic in the area. carteret county is in the process of making the switch to narrow band so im in need of a radio thats compatable.
Located minutes from the atlantic in NC, i frequent the beach, and often out on the water. My vhf on my boat is 15-20 years old and is rather difficult navigate through channels with the worn out buttons on it.

So ive been browsing for both a land vhf and marine vhf options and while browsing vertex standards website i looked at standard horizon radios also and found this.
http://www.standardhorizon.com/index...3&isArchived=0

anyone have input/opinions on performance/ durability of this radio. and is there any legal issues/stipulations for using a "marine vhf" on land. but transmitting on land vhf frequencies. "aside from requiring FCC license to transmit.

basically if i can kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak, and not have to purchase 2 radios id be happy.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Land vhf frequencies on marine vhf radio, opinions, legal issues?

As long as you are not transmitting on marine freqs from land you are not suing a "marine radio" on land.

I have one and it is great. Solid, well built and durable. It does NOT float however like some of the newer ones.

The 40 extra channels are perfect for LMR, HAM, etc. I have several local amateur freqs in it along with MURS.
It will do repeater splits and tones as well.

You do need a cable and software to program though, but that is no big deal.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:27 PM

you have another PM
Old 12-30-2010, 08:22 PM

I have found while listening to my Marine band out here in Arizona that there is a lot of none marine use on them . Meaning There is DOT people on them and the police on the other side of town use them. Now I don't think there using Marine radios but some of the frequencies are being used
Old 01-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadjones99 View Post
I have found while listening to my Marine band out here in Arizona that there is a lot of none marine use on them . Meaning There is DOT people on them and the police on the other side of town use them. Now I don't think there using Marine radios but some of the frequencies are being used
I've been looking for an article I read a few years back about DOT and LE being authorized to use Marine VHF channels inland, but I haven't found it yet.

The gist of it is: only in certain parts of the country, and a minimum distance from anywhere that Marine VHF would be used. Special FCC authorization is required.

Can anyone back me on this?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:02 AM

Icom makes a quality, small, portable radio that is waterproof. The VHF model, F50V, has the capability to program Marine, Ham, Public Safety and Business frequencies in it (128 channels). It also has paging capabilities and a vibrate feature to act as a pager if the fire department uses that. Please remember, you can listen to any frequency but you have to have a license to transmit.

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/produc...s/options.aspx
Old 01-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Administrator

We carry the Icom IC-F50V here. You can also now hear an audio sample of the radio and compare it to other two way radios in its class.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:06 PM

Hello all I am new to this forum. I have found forums very knowledgeable and friendly. I somewhat new to radios. My family has had CB radio for use on trips but other than that have not done anything else. I recently (in the last year) have installed a CB (texas ranger) that I was given from my father-in-law, in my Jeep. I have found that they are kinda dead these days or at least where I am. I have a couple pairs of the new GMRS/FRS and have been looking for a GMRS/FRS radio in a CB format to be installed along in my Jeep. My family and I do a lot of camping and travel in convoys. I have seen 2 Marine VHF radios that are also GMRS. I have also heard VHF being used inland (western NC) and here are my questions. Are marine VHF radios legal inland? Do I need a license for VHF or GMRS /FRS? Are there marine / inland frequencies? What kind of antenna do I need for the new radio / can I use a CB antenna? Are there any other issues I my have since I have 2 radios in one vehicle? BTW the radio I was looking at is a Cobra CBR-MRHH425L Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcarlgolden View Post
Hello all I am new to this forum. I have found forums very knowledgeable and friendly. I somewhat new to radios. My family has had CB radio for use on trips but other than that have not done anything else. I recently (in the last year) have installed a CB (texas ranger) that I was given from my father-in-law, in my Jeep. I have found that they are kinda dead these days or at least where I am. I have a couple pairs of the new GMRS/FRS and have been looking for a GMRS/FRS radio in a CB format to be installed along in my Jeep. My family and I do a lot of camping and travel in convoys. I have seen 2 Marine VHF radios that are also GMRS. I have also heard VHF being used inland (western NC) and here are my questions. Are marine VHF radios legal inland? Do I need a license for VHF or GMRS /FRS? Are there marine / inland frequencies? What kind of antenna do I need for the new radio / can I use a CB antenna? Are there any other issues I my have since I have 2 radios in one vehicle? BTW the radio I was looking at is a Cobra CBR-MRHH425L Thanks in advance.
FRS radios - by design, are not allowed to produce more then one half of one watt and are not allowed to have a detachable antenna - hence you cannot increase the gain of the antenna in any way.

GMRS - as associated to the Family Radio Service ( Bubble Pack Radios) are limited to one watt of transmit power - same antenna restrictions.
By nature - the FCC does not know what to do with the sheer number of GMRS radios - but they ALL require a family license to operate.

The GMRS license, is about $85.00 for FIVE years and it covers your whole family. There is restrictions to the GMRS license.
You are not allowed to use it as a hobby - call CQ.

Most of the businesses that used GMRS were forced to migrate to the LMRS.

Using a Marine radio on land is ILLEGAL, and using it without ownership of a boat is also ILLEGAL.

Most reputable radio dealers will ask you for your license call sign before they will sell you a radio. Ham Radio Outlet, AES - etc... All asks - What is YOUR call sign? Legally, at one time, they were not allowed to sell you a radio unless you possessed a call sign!

Check out the rules - FCC Part

http://www.mygmrs.com/
http://home.provide.net/~prsg/part95ae.htm

The Texas Ranger - Import CB did not work on the Jeep, because structurally it is too small, and the antenna was placed in the wrong place and was the wrong size; there is not a lot of options when it comes to a JEEP.

Range is determined by the antenna, and most places - other then truck drivers, no one uses the CB radio anymore - most local communications has migrated to the CELL phone and texting.
When the band conditions are poor - such as right now with the most recent CME and Polar Geomagnetic Storms - propogation on 11 meters is poor to none.

This has always been a problem with 11 meters... ( CB radio)
Old 06-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Tower Tech is correct about the marine radios. Although the marine band is licensed by rule in domestic waters (no license is required if operating recreational craft within US territory), those frequencies are only legal for use on water.

The Cobra MR-425LI you mentioned is a solid combo marine/GMRS radio that can be a good solution for both marine and land use, however you do need a license to operate on GMRS frequencies.

CB isn't bad way to go if you need the radio on road trips when travelling in convoys. CB isn't where it was in the 70's, but isn't really dead and there are still a lot of them out there. Personally I think that's a plus, because it means the channels aren't as crowded as they once were, which gives you some breathing room if you need them on the road for communicating in a convoy.

Antennas are not mix and match. It's almost a science, but the short answer is you need to choose the correct antenna for the correct bands and frequencies and the correct radio (handheld, mobile, base station) as well.

The bottom line is this: radio is primarily a tool for communication. It has its strengths and it has its limitations. The best way to determine the right tool for your specific need is to learn about the differences between these tools and choose the one that you feel best fits your needs within those limitations.

We have a lot of resources on the basics of these radio services that can help you make the best choice for what you need. Here are a few:

The Two Way Radio Show Podcast
TWRS-01 - An Introduction to Consumer Radios
TWRS-10 - Radios on the Road
TWRS-15 - An Introduction to CB Radios
TWRS-16 - An Introduction to Marine Radios

Articles
Two Way Radio Basics
Getting Started with Marine Radios
A Beginner's Guide to CB Radio
Getting The Most Range From Your Radio

Videos
Radio 101 - The difference between UHF and VHF radios
Radio 101 - The truth about FRS / GMRS two way radio range

Last edited by Rick S; 06-10-2013 at 11:20 AM.