Two Way Radio Forum  

Go Back   Two Way Radio Forum > Two Way Radios > General Discussion

Click here to visit our ecommerce site - BuyTwoWayRadios.com

Old 04-26-2018, 06:46 PM

Default Newbie question

Need some direction here, please. I installed a Uniden PC68XL in my pickup with a 4' adjustable Firestik antenna. I am having trouble with setting the SWR's. On channel 1, I'm getting a 3.5 and channel 40, I'm getting a 2.0. I can't seem to get any better than that. The antenna mount is grounded also. Any suggestions would help.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Newbie question

High SWR usually indicates a grounding issue. You said the antenna mount is grounded. Is the entire vehicle well grounded? It is not uncommon to mount the antenna on a part of the vehicle that is itself poorly grounded, often due to plastic parts between connecting pieces of metal frame or other types of insulation between parts.

The feed line itself may have an issue. If there is a short in a connector, kinks in the line or simply a bad cable, your SWR will be high. Try using another cable that has been thoroughly tested to be sure.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Newbie question

I'll try that. I have a magmount Lil will I'll put up top of the cab (f250 crew) and see if that changes readings. At this point I have the firestik mounted in the stake hole on the bed and grounded to the bed body underneath. Thanks Rick.