Two Way Radio Forum  

Go Back   Two Way Radio Forum > Two Way Radios > Business Radios

Click here to visit our ecommerce site - BuyTwoWayRadios.com

Old 03-27-2017, 09:28 PM

Default EMS 2 way suggestions

I'm sure this kind of question is asked all the time, but I would like to get some suggestions on radios. First off, I know next to nothing about radios and frequencies, so pardon me if I screw something up. I can only go by what I was told. Anyway, the criteria I'm looking for is as follows:
-Truncated 700/800 VHF
-UHF
-Alert tones
-Durable

I'm a volunteer EMT, but the most important thing I'm looking for in this radio is small size. I know that makes it difficult. For those familiar with the Baofeng 2-ways, I find them a nice size.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:03 AM

Default Re: EMS 2 way suggestions

What exactly do you want to do - you haven't said. Trunked P25 systems mean no Baofengs or other cheap radios. These systems are used (I understand, being UK based) by US emergency services - so do you want to listen to work? Then you mentioned UHF - so you want a UHF trunked P25 radio? Most will have your other requirement - all will be durable, being designed for reliable work based use.

Quite a few on ebay, I note - mainly Motorolas, and not mega expensive. As for the programming? No idea - somebody stateside will need to advise on that.

Also not sure how the US view licensing? Sorry.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:50 AM

Default Re: EMS 2 way suggestions

Sorry, like I said i know little about these radios. I'm an EMT, a much lower level paramedic would be a comparison to the UK I think, part of the US emergency services. As far as I can tell I should have no reason to transmit on the 700/800 band, only listen, the UHF frequencies are what I would need to transmit and receive on. Truthfully the reason I'm posting this is because I've yet to find a search engine for radios that would search by physical size. I want as small a radio as I can.