Two Way Radio Forum  

Go Back   Two Way Radio Forum > Two Way Radios > Product Reviews

Click here to visit our ecommerce site - BuyTwoWayRadios.com

Old 05-17-2015, 03:14 AM

Default Re: 900 MHz mobile antennas

I have never tried a longer antenna, simply because I see any gain just getting lost in the cable run at 900 MHz end of the spectrum.

But if you would like to try, let us know how it works. There are a few of us enthusiasts with a private net of these radios, and I would love to hear your results.

What have you been looking at as far as the antenna is concerned?
Old 05-25-2015, 12:00 PM

Good morning Chickenhawk,

I have a forty foot TV tower and was considering the placement of a base antenna operating on the 900 MHZ frequency at roughly the thirty foot mark on this tower. In my mind doing this would greatly enhance the capabilities of the signal of the DTR radios.

Yagi makes these antennas. However in checking with the dealers, I am told that they are for the GSM 900 MHZ signal. Ironically, none of the dealers I spoke with have any knowledge of the Motorola DTR radio or the 900 MHZ digital signal transmitted by them. I have a hard time understanding why a 900 MHZ operating antenna only functions with GSM, but then again, I am no expert on antennas r radios.

I was almost ready to try one until I discovered that these little antennas are directional only. For now, I have all but given up with this idea, but I still feel placing an antenna thirty foot into the air would be a big help.

I want to thank you for all the information you have shared with people for this radio. It has helped me enormously. As you already now, Motorola has not made a lot of information readily available for these radios. Everything I find seems to be outdated and antiquated.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:26 AM

Chickenhawk,

You should retry your test using low-loss coax designed specifically for 900Mhz bands. You can contact any Ham Radio store and ask them which coax is rated for 900Mhz and higher. You could even use coax rated for 1.2Ghz. If you're using coax rated for UHF or VHF, the loss will be too great..