Two Way Radio Forum  

Go Back   Two Way Radio Forum > Two Way Radios > Product Reviews

Click here to visit our ecommerce site - BuyTwoWayRadios.com

Old 09-01-2015, 06:37 AM

Default NEW - Motorola DLR series - rugged, licence-free, high-quality digital radios

There are a lot of two-way radio users looking for top-quality business-class radios that transmit on licence-free bands and are secure from eavesdropping or interference from every kid or drive-through within a five mile radius. With the introduction of the new DLR1020 and DLR1060, Motorola is about to answer that quest.

Previously, the only radio on the market on that licence-free 900MHz band was the Motorola DTR410, 550 and 650 digital radios. I have been a big fan of these are top-quality DTR two-way radios. They appealed to a lot of other professional users who appreciated their clarity, ruggedness and range. In day-to-day use, they outperformed every other VHF and UHF radio on the market, not just inside buildings and dense urban areas, but also outdoors; environments where VHF was supposed to be superior to UHF.

The DTR radios use a unique digital algorithm to rapidly hop across hundreds of frequencies in the licence-free 900MHz band, staying on one frequency only 90 milliseconds. They had 10 preprogrammed "channels" which were basically hopping algorithms, and there has been no documented case of anyone able to monitor a conversation using any consumer-level or professional-level equipment. Short of perhaps the military, the only way to monitor a DTR radio was another DTR radio - and even then, it had to be on the same channel PLUS the same group ID number. With 10 channels and 100 unique ID numbers, there are almost 1000 combinations available. In 10 years of owning a fleet of DTR radios, I have never heard a peep from another user.

The DTR radios are not cheap. Retailing between $250 to $350, depending on the model, the price reflected their incredible range, clarity, industrial-quality construction and long battery life. They also had many features, including multiple public groups, private groups and the ability to call other users individually.

But for users who just wanted basic radios to call up their group and maybe the ability to switch to a couple of channels, they were almost too much radio.

Motorola has addressed all those issues with a simpler design that uses the same technology, at half the size and weight. Both new DLR radios are identical, except the 1020 has two channels, and the 1060 has six. With 18 possible channels plus a four-digit Profile ID, there are almost 200,000 possible combinations to choose from.

But how do the new DLR radios compare to the top-quality DTR radios (that are still in production)? Well, thanks to the folks at http://www.buytwowayradios.com I just received a sample of the DLR1060 in the mail yesterday. I wanted to put it up in a head-to-head test against my DTR radios and report on the results.

Based on my results, I am predicting Motorola is going to sell truckloads of these radios to users who will appreciate their compactness, the quality of their sound, their range and privacy, their ability to transmit on licence-free frequencies, and most especially, their lower price in relation to the DTR radios. The following are my evaluations, based on a score of 1 to 5, in comparison to the DTR radio.

BATTERY LIFE
The DLR radios use the Motorola BP90 battery rated at 1800 mAh. This should be good for 14 hours of life, at a standard test environment of 10% transmit time and 90% standby time.

But the DTRs were known for long battery life, and the standard battery that comes in the 410 and 550 was good for 14.5 hours, even though it is smaller at 1200 mAh. The extended battery in the 650 (and can be fitted to any DTR radio) is 1500 mAh, and is rated at 19 hours.

The DLR1060 does not use an LCD screen with backlight like the DTR; it uses an LED plus voice prompts. In my informal tests, I found the DLR battery life to be only slightly shorter than a DTR. Here are the battery life ratings from Motorola:
DLR = 14 hours
DTR (standard battery) = 14.5 hours
DTR (extended battery) = 19 hours
SCORE
DTR = 5
DLR = 4

RUGGEDNESS
The DLR meet military standard 810 C, D, E, F and G. It is protected from heat, cold, humidity, dust, shock and vibration. The DTR meets military standard 810 C, D, E and F. It is protected from all of the above PLUS rain. This means that the DTR is more protected from water splashes and rain than the newer DLR.
SCORE
DTR = 5
DLR = 4

RANGE
Surprisingly, my testing found the range of the DLR with the fixed stubby antenna to be nearly identical to the DTR with the removable 1/4 wave rubber antenna.

On my usual range test course through a very dense urban neighborhood, I was able to raise a DTR sitting upright inside my car at about 15 city blocks away. The signal made it through my car, house, and 15 blocks of old homes and mature elm trees. That is an AMAZING performance for any line-of-sight two-way radio! I found only a few feet difference in range between the DTR and the DLR.

Range estimations will always vary from user to user, depending on the height of the antenna and what is between the two radios. But my rough city range results are:
DTR410 with fixed stubby antenna = about 13 city blocks
DLR1060 with fixed stubby antenna = about 15 city blocks
DTR550 with 3 1/2" quarter-wave antenna = about 15 city blocks
DTR550 with 7" half-wave antenna = about 16 city blocks
SCORE
DTR = 5
DLR = 5

CLARITY
The DTR has always had among the best clarity of any two-way radio. Being digital, it will not even transmit unless another radio is in range, and sound is always clear even out to the limits of reception. The nature of digital is that the voice always comes across as 100% or nothing; there are no fuzzy, barely-readable transmissions from the fringes of range.

The DLR has a slightly smaller speaker and an audio output of .75W compared to the 1W audio output of the DTR, which causes it to sound slightly more muffled. While the new DLR seems similar to the popular CLS series, its audio is much more clear and natural. Listen to the audio sample of the DTR, and with only slightly less depth, that is pretty much how the DLR sounds. http://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/...o_samples.aspx
SCORE
DTR = 5
DLR = 4

COMPACTNESS
This is no contest. The DLR is easily half the size and weight of the DTR (which were known for their compact size.) The only issue is that the DLR looks a bit like an FRS radio, which may be important in situations where the more business-class size of the DTR may imply more professionalism, but slip the easily detached belt clip off the DLR and it fits in a small pocket.
SCORE
DTR = 4
DLR = 5

VALUE FOR MONEY
The DLR1060 retails for about $60 less than a DTR550. For that, you don't get a backlit screen where you can read the name of each channel and the name of the radio calling you. You can also send simple text messages on the DTR, and any radio in your group can be configured to call up any other DTR radio individually - all while still keeping the channel free for other users.

On the DLR, you can't call another user privately without advanced programming, but when a group call comes in, the person in question can reply privately, using the top 'private reply' button. Users can also switch to another channel for a conversation that won't interfere with the main channel.
SCORE
DTR = 3
DLR = 5

PROGRAMMING
Motorola is famous for poorly-written manuals and completely non-intuitive customer programming software (CPS). They continue along this road, even with the completely new CPS. Instructions are almost non-existent, and even though the DLR can be programmed to integrate into a DTR fleet, it is not intuitive and there are no instructions on how to do this.

Out of the box, the DLR will communicate with a DTR if both are left at their factory default settings. The five Public Groups in the DTR when left at, or returned to, factory default, correspond to the first five channels of the DLR radios. To talk to a DLR on channel 1, switch to Public Group 1 on the DTR; to talk to a DLR on channel 2, switch to Public Group 2 on the DTR, etc.
SCORE
DTR = 0
DLR = 2

FINAL SCORE
I love these DLR radios! If I didn't need to integrate them with a fleet of DTRs, I would forego the customer programming software and cable, and just program them manually. All the average user will need to do is change the Profile ID numbers on all their radios to the same four-digit number. It is not hard, as long as you know (because the manual doesn't tell you) that to get into programming mode, you need to press the + button, the PTT button and the power button all simultaneously, and HOLD THEM DOWN until it beeps and announces it is in programming mode. You then press the menu button and follow the voice prompts to change the ID number. It literally takes less time to program than it does to read this paragraph.

I predict these radios will be hard to keep in stock. Thanks again to www.buytwowayradios.com for the sample. They don't replace my DTR radios, and the DTR series has features not duplicated in the DLR. The DLR radios are their own unique design, and if I didn't already have a fleet of top-quality, licence-free business radios, i would look seriously at the DLR1020 and DLR1060.

Last edited by Chickenhawk; 12-15-2015 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:24 AM

Default Integrating DLR radios into a fleet of DTRs

The good news is, that it CAN be done. There is no documentation on this as these radios are quite new, but here is how to integrate them into an existing DTR fleet.

The key is to understand the differences in how these radios communicate with each other. The DTR radio sends out a handshake signal on a channel, which is not really a channel in the traditional analog sense; it is a programmed frequency-hopping algorithm (called a hopset) that will change frequencies many times in a second, staying on any one frequency for only 90 milliseconds. For convenience, we simply refer to these digital hopsets as "channels." If the radio detects another radio within range on that channel, it checks to see if it has a matching Group ID number. If so, it opens the channel for communication. The DTR has channels 1 to 10, and Group ID numbers 1 to 100. Each ID can only be used once so there are about 950 unique combinations that can be used.

The DLR uses a different system. It has the same channels (and uses the same hopsets) as the DTR, but it doesn't communicate with programmed Public and Private groups. If it detects another radio in range on the channel it is broadcasting on, it checks to see if the radio's Profile ID number matches. Each individual DLR radio has a Profile ID number, versus the DTR that has each Public or Private group has a Group ID number. The DLR can use channels 1 to 18, and Profile ID numbers from 0000 to 9999. This gives it almost 200,000 unique combinations.

The DLR radios can use BOTH Profile ID numbers or Public Group ID numbers on the factory default settings. On DLR channel 1. it corresponds to a DTR set on channel 1, Group ID 1; on DLR channel 2, it corresponds to a DTR set on channel 1, Group ID 2; on DLR channel 3, it corresponds to a DTR set on channel 1, Group ID 3, etc. "Channels" as announced by the voice prompt in the DLR from the factory, are not the actual channel hopset numbers. All six channels are set to hopset channel 1, and ID numbers got from 1 to 6.

In this first scenario, an existing fleet of DTR radios has already been programmed and the user wants to integrate new DLR radios into an existing fleet of DTRs.

The key to getting them working together is to convert the DLR radios so they don't look for Profile ID numbers; they look only for Public Group ID numbers. You do this by turning off the Profile ID Number Lock, and then by adding new Public Groups into the radios instead of the existing channel assignments.

This means that you lower the channel choices on the DLR from 1 to 18 down to 1 to 10, and the Profile ID numbers from 0000 to 9999 down to Group ID numbers 1 to 100. But in practical terms, one will never need 200,000 combinations no matter how crowded the airways get; 950 is more than sufficient, even in the most densely used area.

To change the DLR from a Profile ID system to a Public Group ID system, you need the optional DLR programming cable plus the free Customer Programming Software (CPS) from Motorola. You do NOT need the CPS and programming cable (plus a USB-to-serial port adapter) for the DTR.

The first step is to program new Group ID numbers into your DTR radios. It is easier of course to do this in the CPS, but it can be done manually by using the programming menu from the keyboard.

Programming the DTR to be ready for DLR integration
First thing to remember is that the DTR can send private transmissions and messages to individual radios (the DLR can't) BUT only on a "home" channel. Plus, you need to read each radio's ID into every other radio. Once you do that, you add each radio from the contact list into the scroll list, using the keypad. So, assuming you have already done all this on your whole fleet of DTRs, here is what you have to change:
1. You can use any channel you wish (from 1 to 10) but change each Public Group ID using only numbers 21 to 100. The DLR takes up IDs from 1 to 20 by default, and these cannot be changed or deleted.

EXAMPLE
For example, my existing DTR fleet had five channels programmed in to them. I avoided the default channel of 1, group ID 1, so the OLD settings were:
- Public group 1 (renamed to "Main"): channel 2, group ID 1
- Public group 2 (renamed to "Channel 2"): channel 2, group ID 2
- Public group 3 (renamed to "Channel 3"): channel 2, group ID 3
- Public group 4 (renamed to "Channel 4"): channel 2, group ID 4
- Public group 5 (renamed to "Channel 5"): channel 2, group ID 5

I listed each contact as channel 2 in the programming software. Note that ALL my channels were programmed the same channel number. I did this so they all became a "home" channel, and I could send a private message to any other radio on my contact list or scroll list, no matter what channel they were on. I also programmed them so that they would go back to a home channel of my choosing ("Main") after no activity for 30 seconds.

Now, because the DLR radios use the first 20 ID numbers for their default public groups and each number can only be used once, the above programming wouldn't work when I wanted to add DLR radios. So I simply changed my NEW programming into:

- "Main" = channel 2, group ID 21
- "Channel 2" = channel 2, group ID 22
- "Channel 3" = channel 2, group ID 23
- "Channel 4" = channel 2, group ID 24
- "Channel 5" = channel 2, group ID 25
- "Channel 6" = channel 2, Group ID 26

Programming the DLRs to integrate with your existing fleet of DTR radios
1. This is the part that took lots of trial and error. First, you need the software and a programming cable. Hook them up, turn the radio on and open the CPS. Click the "RADIO" button at the top to take it from HOME, and then click the tiny reload button just to the right of the Auto Detect drop-down box. This refreshes your com port (USB port). Then click the drop-down box and select the Com port that now appears just under the Auto-detect line. Now click "Read radio."

2. When the profile appears, look at the top of the profile on the far right side. Click "Switch to ADVANCED." Now uncheck the box marked "Profile ID Number Lock." By unclicking this box, this will let you manually enter channel numbers into new Public Group profiles.

3. Scroll to the bottom and under Public Groups (Advanced) click Add. Change the name of the new Public Group that appears so that it matches your first DTR group name. ("Main" in my example above.) Then change the Frequency Hopset number from the default 1 to the channel that matches your DTRs. ("2" in my example above.) As long as you unchecked the Profile ID Number Lock, you can change the channel to anywhere from 1 to 10. Then go to the ID column, and using the drop-down box, change the ID number to match the Group ID numbers for the corresponding Group on your DTR. ("21" in my example above.)

You need to add at least one new Public Group from the Advanced menu to talk to a DTR, and you can add as many as two (DLR1020) or six (DLR1060.)

4. Add as many Public Groups from the DTR to the DLR as you like. The DLR1060 can take those Public Groups and use them for up to six of its channels. Simply add each new Public Group, and change the name, channel number and ID number to match the corresponding list on your DTRs.

5. Now, here comes the tricky part. The DLR still has the six defaults loaded in for its channels. Switch back to the BASIC profile. Under Channels (Basic) click "Edit More" beside each channel. Now enter a new name if you want. Under Mode, change from "Profile ID" to "Public." Then change Channel Mapping into the appropriate channel name that you created back in step 3. Do this for each channel you wish to match to the DTRs.

6. Now click Write to Radio. Disconnect and test. If everything works well, reconnect, read the radio again and then click Save to Profile. Name it anything you like. ("DLR to DTR settings Channel 2.wp9" is what I called mine.)

7. Now, if you have multiple DLR radios, just connect each one in turn and click Write to Radio. The software will recognize each radio by its unique ID number.

What you CAN'T do
The DTR can transmit to all radios in a public group, a smaller subset of radios in a private group or call individual radios. To call individual radios, they must be loaded as contacts into every other radio. (It also helps to move each radio, especially the ones you use a lot, from the Contacts to the Scroll List.

But the DTR cannot add a DLR radio into its contact list, and the DLR radio cannot be renamed. It will show up on your DTR radio screen only by its 11-digit unit ID number.

Stay tuned tomorrow for another interesting trick in programming DLR radios to integrate into a DTR fleet.

Last edited by Chickenhawk; 09-07-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:32 PM

Default Re: NEW - Motorola DLR series - rugged, licence-free, high-quality digital radios

Here's an interesting new trick with the DLR radios. You don't even need to integrate them into a fleet of DTR radios to try this.

The DLR has voice prompts that announce the channel numbers as you scroll through them using the menu button and the plus/minus keys. You can change the Channel Name into anything you want (maximum 26 characters) AND if you check off the Enable Voice, it will announce the names you gave it in a voice.

For example, I could rename each channel "Chickenhawk's Channel 1" and that is what they voice will say as I scroll through the channels.

But when you name your channels on a DTR, the channel names appear on the LCD screen, but any characters beyond a 15-character limit get truncated. To get them to match, I simply rename the Public Groups that I created for both the DTR and the DLR with a 15-character limit.

Not being very creative, my groups are called "Main," "Channel 1," etc. in my example above. (Well, not really, but I would prefer not to post what my actual names are on a public forum!)
Old 09-07-2015, 06:18 PM

Default Re: NEW - Motorola DLR series - rugged, licence-free, high-quality digital radios

To conclude this review, let's look at the various scenarios involving these new DLR radios.

SCENARIO ONE
User wants to integrate new DLR radios into an existing fleet of DTR radios that have been custom programmed:
- Follow the steps in Post #2 above, using a programming cable and the free Customer Programming Software.
This provides the greatest security and privacy.

SCENARIO TWO
User wants to integrate new DLR radios into an existing fleet of DTR radios that have NOT been custom programmed:
Step #1 - Turn them on.
Step #2 - Leave all radios at that factory default settings.
Step #3 - Enjoy.
No cables or software is needed. "Channel 1" on the DLR corresponds with "Public Group 1" on the DTR; "Channel 2" on the DLR corresponds with "Public Group 2" on the DTR; etc.

SCENARIO THREE
User wants to integrate new DLR radios into an existing fleet of DTR radios WITHOUT the need for programming cables or software:
- The easiest way to do this is to return all radios to factory defaults.

On the DLR, hold down the -, +, PTT and power button at the same time, and continue to hold them all down until the radio beeps. It has now been reset to factory defaults.

On the DTR, enter programming mode by holding down the Home key while pressing PTT 3 times, then push the Right Select key, the Down Scroll key, the Left Select key, and then holding down the Home key while pressing PTT 3 times. Then go to Settings>Advanced>Reset to default.

SCENARIO FOUR
User wants to integrate new DTR radios into an existing fleet of DLR radios WITHOUT the need for programming cables or software:
- The easiest way to do this is to return all radios to factory defaults, as above.

SCENARIO FIVE
User buys new DLR radios and has no existing DTR radios:
- Leave all radios at that factory default settings.
Step #1 - Turn them on.
Step #2 - Enjoy.

If interference is heard, or for greater privacy, change the Profile ID number on all the radios from the factory default 0000 to any other four digits, as long as all radios match. No programming cables or software are needed for this.

SUMMARY
The Motorola DLR and DTR series radios communicate using a unique frequency-hopping, spread spectrum logarithm in the UHF 900MHz band. They cannot communicate with any other business, FRS or GMRS radios and there are currently no other brands using this technology. They hop around a selection of about 500 frequencies at about 90 milliseconds per frequency, and cannot interfere with any other radio or radio-controlled item on the same band, nor can they be monitored with consumer or professional scanners.

Interestingly, the frequency-hopping, spread spectrum (FHSS) technology was first patented by a Hollywood actress named Hedy Lamarr back in the 1940s for use in torpedo guidance systems during the Second World War. The modern digital version of FHSS is now used widely in radio-control aircraft, as well as by Motorola in its DTR and DLR radios.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:28 AM

Thanks for this review and the information about how the DLR works.

One point of clarification: I'm pretty sure that each Profile ID defines a separate hopset, and not a separate group. The help section of the CPS software explains Profile ID as follows:

"Allows the user to assign different profile ID, which will define the ID and **frequency hopset of the first 20 Public Group IDs**. The valid Profile ID is from 0000 to 9999. The default is 0000 which is compatible with Motorola DTR radios" (emphasis added with **).

So, in essence, the DLR Radios support the 10 hopsets that the DTR radios do, but only if you set the Profile ID to 0000 and you unlock the Profile ID Lock. However, if you change the Profile ID to something else, you essentially have 10,000 hopsets that are available, but when you do that, the DLR radios can no longer communicate with the DTR Radios, at least not on DTR Hopset 1 and Groups 1 through 20 (and probably page all and call all). My theory is that the DLR radios use a few frequencies from all 10 DTR hopsets when you set a Profile ID. So, Profile ID 0000 matches DTR Hopset 1 precisely, but Profile ID 2222 may use the first two frequencies from DTR Hopset 1, the third and fourth from DTR Hopset 2, and so on. In order to achieve 10,000 hopsets, there is obviously going to be some overlap as well. So Profile ID 2222 and 2223 may share some hopset frequencies, but obviously not all of them. They might even share all the hopset frequencies, but use a different signalling frequency.

It should be pretty easy to test my theory:

1. Set up Radio A so that it is on Profile 1111, with Ch. 1 set to a private call to radio B using its radio ID.
2. Set up Radio B so that it is on Profile 2222, which Ch. 2 set to a private call to Radio A using its radio ID.

Now, try to make a call from Radio A to Radio B (or vice versa). If the Profile ID is a Group, it won't matter since the radios will be talking to one another using their Radio IDs and not the groups (profile ID). If the Profile ID is a hopset, then the radios won't communicate with one another at all since they'll be using different frequencies.

What I'm not clear on is whether the Profile ID continues to impact the hopsets when you unlock the Profile ID Lock, and whether it impacts all 10 of the available DTR hopsets, or just DTR hopset number 1. It may also be that the Profile ID only affects the hopset when you use the predefined groups, i.e. groups numbered 1 through 20 (which are fixed to hopset 1). The CPS that I quoted above suggests that it only affects groups 1 to 20. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Last edited by adv9999; 07-14-2016 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:27 PM

Interesting questions, and someone with a lot more technical knowledge is going to have to tackle this. One problem is that the DLR cannot do a private one-to-one call. It can only do a private reply, once the first user has initiated a public one-to-all call.

My understanding is that the "channels" are pre-programmed "hopsets" or preprogrammed sequences of frequencies that the radio will jump around on, within its licenced spectrum range. The ID numbers are a digital signature, that allow the radios to communicate with each other. With the DTR radios, it looks for a matching "Public Group" ID number, and with the DLR it looks for the matching "Profile" ID number.

Because the DLR can have any four digits from 0000 to 9999, plus it has 18 channels to choose from, there are hundreds of thousands of combinations. But that only applies, as you say, when communicating from DLR to DLR. If you need to integrate DLRs into a fleet of DTRs, you must reduce the choices, because the DTR only has 10 channels to choose from, and Public Group IDs from 1 to 100. Plus, the DLR already uses Public Group ID numbers from 1 to 20 for its own internal programming that can't be changed, so that reduces the choices even further.

But at almost 800 unique combinations of 10 channels and 80 ID numbers, you will never interfere with any other user. While not even close to the same technology, the ID numbers are almost a bit like a digital version of a PL tone, except with no "off" setting.

So what you say is correct, except that if the DLR could do one-to-one calling, it wouldn't work if one was on 1111 and the other on 2222. But you also raise a good point, that unless the DLR is changed from looking for Profile ID numbers (with 200,000 combinations) to looking for Public Group ID numbers (with "only" 800 combinations) the only ID number it can be set on to communicate with a DTR is 0000.

This is also why I suggested the cheapest and easiest way to get them talking to each other is to reset to factory defaults. You don't need software or a cable for this, and you now have choices of five channels. (Six, if you add one more to the DTR to match the DLR on channel 1, ID number 6.) Just remember the NAMES of the channels on the DLR "Channel One," "Channel Two," etc., are just the names of the channels. Those are not the actual Motorola channel hopset numbers. (At factory defaults, all radios are on channel 1.)

But for users who only have DLR radios, it is as simple as turning them on and talking. One doesn't need to do any more than that. If you don't have any DTR radios, I wouldn't even suggest buying the cable or downloading the software unless you wanted to do more fancy stuff like getting a voice announcement of the channel names. If anyone is worried about interference or eavesdropping, just change all your radios from ID number 0000 to any four-number combination you like. Just make sure all match and you are good to go.