Two Way Radio Forum  

Go Back   Two Way Radio Forum > Two Way Radios > General Discussion

Click here to visit our ecommerce site - BuyTwoWayRadios.com

Old 04-20-2018, 03:37 PM

Default Do you know any good articles on how to choose frequencies?

Hey all,

I'm new to programmable two-way radios and have been using Google to find something useful on how to select which frequencies to use, but nothing solid is coming up.

If anyone knows any good articles on how to choose frequencies based on application, number of handsets or some other relevant factors, I'd love to read some content on this.

EDIT: I Think I'm getting my terminology mixed up. I have UHF radios with 16 programable channels and I'm not sure how to choose which frequency is best for the individual channels.

Thanks!

Mark

P.S. I have 2 x Baofeng UV-82 units and 4 x TIDRadio TD-M8 units. The two Baofeng will be used by the two managers working at a mountain site in Peru, and the four TD-M8 will be used by various visitors and employees.

Last edited by QuantumMark; 04-20-2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Clarification (I hope)
Old 04-20-2018, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Do you know any good articles on how to choose frequencies?

Peru is unknown - but I suspect the choice of frequencies depends on the administration and how seriously they take Radio Frequency Management.

Most countries (including Peru) are members of the ITU, so certain bands are regulated and kept fro specific purposes, but most countries set aside certain blocks of frequencies for business use and use by consumers. Some are rigid in their licensing, some very slack. It might be very loose and unregulated and you can simply pick 16 channels almost at random and not annoy anyone, or have your Government searching you hauling you off to prison. As its for business use, would it not be simpler to simply do it properly? Embarrassing to discover your radios are on the same frequency as a covert Government organisation!
Old 04-21-2018, 01:11 PM

I looked things up briefly. All I can say is there is a regulating body, and there is a radio spectrum breakdown. Here is the website: http://www.mtc.gob.pe/index.html You may wish to contact them.

I could find nothing in my research that would allow you to simply enter a frequency and talk.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:00 PM

Thank you for the responses, guys. Very helpful.

I've contacted the MTC to see what they say.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but the land is very remote, nothing else around for miles, except the Manu National Reserve, which I imagine has a team that also uses radios of some kind.

Do you think in very remote locations it's more likely to be okay just picking frequencies at random?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:04 AM

There are some folk in Central America driving trucks, that are coming out of a satellite belonging to the Military of a different country. Being very honest, the channels supplied in virtually every Baofeng radio are not legal in most countries - but thousands of people use them in ignorance. It's usually illegal - but only your countries views really matter. In some countries - unlicensed use doesn't cause any action at all - in others, the door will be broken down and people marched away. If it's for business, doing it correctly probably is best. Only you know where your legal, moral and ethical standpoints are.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilkers View Post
I looked things up briefly. All I can say is there is a regulating body, and there is a radio spectrum breakdown. Here is the website: http://www.mtc.gob.pe/index.html You may wish to contact them.

I could find nothing in my research that would allow you to simply enter a frequency and talk.
Hey jwilikers

Did you specifically find a file on the website linked above that shows me the frequencies that I need to know? I couldn't find one, perhaps because I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for.

After searching around on Google I did find a link to this document which does also seem to cover Peru even though it's 2016.

It would be great if you or anyone else could could confirm this is the document I'm looking for or could point me towards a 2018 version.

I did contact MTC Peru, but didn't get a reply.

Also, paulears, thank you for the helpful post above.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:42 AM

There are similar documents that UK Government produce, but these detail bands, and not frequencies. To get permission to use ANY frequency your own country have to do it. We simply cannot help in a foreign country. You say they didn't reply? Did you email a random address that could be wrong, or maybe you should just telephone them? The contact details on the MTC website for your country give names and phone numbers?
Old 05-18-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulears View Post
There are similar documents that UK Government produce, but these detail bands, and not frequencies. To get permission to use ANY frequency your own country have to do it. We simply cannot help in a foreign country. You say they didn't reply? Did you email a random address that could be wrong, or maybe you should just telephone them? The contact details on the MTC website for your country give names and phone numbers?
Sure, I wasn't looking for permission per say, just a list of what frequencies are not allowed due to being allocated already. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought lists like these would be published.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:18 PM

VERY rarely, because it kind of defeats the point. What you could do is to look for blocks of international channels intentionally.
The document you linked to has some oddities - the UHF ham band allocation - listed as international and national, but in the middle of it is 431.125-432.000 MHz (TX) 436.125-437.000 MHz (RX) allocated to the police. If I had to pick somewhere - I'd probably go for 450-454 based on that document if you want to risk it, if the police are happy sharing with the hams? Weird!