View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 01:43 PM

Default Looking for recommendations and licensing questions

Hello all,

I'm looking to purchase 5-6 radios for a small community theater to be used for tech communication between stage manager, stage crew, and booth. It's a small theater that does not do very complex shows, so full duplex is both unnecessary and prohibitively expensive. I'm looking for any suggestions meeting the following criteria:
  • Good sound quality, able to carry whispers
  • Minimal delay between pressing button and being able to talk
  • Ease of use
  • 2 or more channels preferred, but not necessary
  • Non-in ear headsets available, since they will be shared
  • Rechargable batteries
  • Long range not needed. Longest range would be no more than 300 ft., but would be indoors with a decent amount of interference.

I've glanced at the Motorola CLP and CLS series, but I'm unsure about the FCC license process. (Questions on that at the end) I also saw the DLR1020, which is license free, but I wonder if it might be overkill for my needs. I wonder if a consumer grade radio would work, but I would want to make sure it has excellent sound quality.

Licensing Questions:
What's involved in getting the license? Do I only need one license for the organization, or does each operator need a license? Is it renewed yearly? Once licensed, are there restrictions or requirements on using the radios? It's a non-profit organization (501(c)(3)), but would there be "commercial" restrictions?

Last edited by Alisto; 12-01-2015 at 03:03 PM.